Day 25 - Split and Diocletian's palace


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Tucepi
June 18th 2015
Published: May 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

The old town of Split, is called Diocletian’s palace, like the name of a roman emperor. Actually the whole town is built inside the palace. It is a huge labyrinth of small streets. One of the doors opens on to the promenade in front of the sea and another door opens into the modern city. We couldn’t go up to the top of the cathedral, because of our very restricted budget (for the last three days of the trip), but we found a cheaper and cool solution instead. Walk up to the top of Marjan hill, to get a panoramic view over the city, the sea and the mountains. It is not that long, and totally worth the fifteen minutes’ walk and all the steps. Of course there is a little “café”. But the natural side of the place is still there and there are not many tourists. It is an insider recommendation. What is more, it is free! Well to go up to the cathedral it only cost 2 Euros. But it was really expensive for our restricted budget ;-)



In the Marjan’s parc, you can find a few little churches and there is also a zoo at the top. We walked back down to the beaches, choosing a very adventurous and unofficial little way.



You can try the following local speciality: small fried balls, covered with nutella (which only cost 10 Kunas divided by 7.5 gives you the price in Euros – and that was acceptable because it is chocolate). It is very important to set your priorities when when on such a restricted budget.



“Cevapi” are small sausages, which you eat with a kind of tomato sauce together. Not bad, but we were not really fans.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb