If you like Pina Coladas


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Trogir
May 13th 2010
Published: May 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

And getting caught in the rain...

After Dubrovnik we thought it was time to head to one of the sunniest places on earth. Hvar Island. It reportedly receives over 2700 hours of sunshine each year. We were not dissapointed. Hvar is beautiful, and if you ever go to Croatia it cannot be missed. After a rainy and long bus ride the ferry dropped us soggy travellers off on the Island. Having not arranged accomodations in advance we decided to see what we could get right from the ferry. In Croatia there are always people meeting the buses and ferries offering apartment style accomodations (it is very common and often quite economical). We ended up at a place called Villa Marija. It was wonderful. A great alternative to a hostel. We met a lot of great people there as there was a shared terrace. And she was just wonderful so we ended up staying in Hvar for 3 nights.
Monday was just an outstanding day. We ended up renting scooters with 3 other people we met on the Island - had our own little biker gang! We scooted over to another town called Staligrad about 18km away. The drive there was absolutely gorgeous. At times a little hair raising as the road was really narrow and windy. That night we also had an amazing dinner in Hvar town at a restaurant specializing in local cuisine. We shared this delicious soup/stew dish with fish and potatoes. Hard to describe but so amazing.
Tuesday we took the early morning ferry into Split. We originally weren't planning on spending more than 1 night there but we met an American couple at Villa Marija who had just moved there last week and invited us to stay with them. Tuesday was a bit of a lazy day because of the early morning (it was also raining again....). We walked around the palace/old city a bit and went to the food market at we wanted to cook Ryan and Katie (our hosts) dinner to thank them for their hospitality. It was an adventure to say the least...but turned out really well I think - no one got sick!
Yesterday we went to another nearby Island for the day called Brač to go to the beach. Another lazying around day.
We are now in Trogir which is another quaint old city. It is also very beautiful. Tomorrow we are off to another costal town called Zadar.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Damaged BuildingDamaged Building
Damaged Building

Damage from the wars in the 1990s is still very evident in Mostar.
Mostar, BosniaMostar, Bosnia
Mostar, Bosnia

Famous Bridge in Bosnia that connects the christian and muslim sides of town
Getting Caught in the RainGetting Caught in the Rain
Getting Caught in the Rain

Really old. Started being built in 809


15th May 2010

your pictures are so gorgeous! i'm pretty jealous... but i will see you next weekend, yes?

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb