Day 10 - Split


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Split
July 11th 2015
Published: July 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Depart Sarajevo headed for Split. We are told to bring snacks with us as the place we are stopping at doesn't cater too well for coach groups (why stop there you ask - hmmmm).


A quick stop on the Bosnian side at a pretty little restaurant on the side of a mountain where they specialise in lamb on the spit (cooked pretty much in its entirety - i.e. the whole head still on, even the eyes). Smelt spectacular, didn't look overly great with the head doing circles.

Our route takes us back through Mostar and then on to Split. We get through Mostar then take a turn into the back streets. Are we lost again Guisseppe, no, this is a deliberate ploy to get to a smaller border crossing According to Viktor. Seems we are going along very narrow dodgy streets and then we start to climb the mountain. Real billy goat area and there were lots of switchbacks which was interesting in this big bus. Great views back down the valley and we finally get to the border. Oh dear, along with lots of others.... Viktor is very surprised and tells us so many times while we crawl to the gates. Finally make it, and off they go to do their border stuff. Viktor comes back and we notice him put a bank note in his passport along with a bottle of wine. Back to the window and we are now through the Bosnian side. Off to the Croatian side now. More questions and then we can move through but customs want to inspect the bus - Viktor says they are being fussy, especially as he had to get the guy to interrupt his lunch - bad move. The customs dude looks in every luggage compartment on the bus. Finally we are off. Viktor says he wanted cigarettes, but we didn't have any - not happy but let us through. He said that it cost him €10 to get through the Bosnian side which he said was cheap compared to some other crossings he has done.

Get to our lunch stop and everyone pours into the hotel, we decide to have a walk and with a Canadian couple find a little bar. Sit down and order drinks and ask about food. No food, but drinks are icy cold and the coffees were also good (no not for me). Time to head back and onto Split.

The scenery is really nice and the drive down into Split is spectacular. Split is a port which services many of the local islands. We also find out that they are also having a huge techno music ever festival this weekend so there will be lots of people in town. We get to our hotel, check in and then start a walking tour of the old town and the Diocletian palace. This is a huge house that the emperor built. It is still in pretty good shape and we see the underground rooms which are nice and cool, unlike the upstairs parts which are super hot now.

Walk is over and we have about 1.5 hours between now and our dinner. Decide to people watch while having a beer. Get seats at a cafe on the waterfront. Lots of boats coming back from the islands, lots of people walking past. Very nice break. Wander back through the shops and buy a t shirt and some postcards. There is an art market which we wander through then go to the restaurant.

Dinner is included and this time is quite good. Nice night and then back to the promenade to people watch and a nightcap. People everywhere now, kids with their countries flags over their backs, buskers, novelty toy sellers, etc. We find a cafe and have a beer with the kiwis. Good finish to the day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb