Day 9 - Sarajevo


Advertisement
Bosnia and Herzegovina's flag
Europe » Bosnia & Herzegovina » East » Sarajevo
July 10th 2015
Published: July 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Off on a walking tour this morning. Meet our guide, Nella. All good until Viktor butts in to have his say on something which I think starts a mini war between the 2 of them. Never mind. Walk the old town, through the catholic cathedral Jewish synagogue and outside one of the mosques (can't go in during Ramadan).

finish walk without too much more friction between the 2 guides, but we still have a tunnel and war museum to go. Onto the bus for our next bit. Nella starts talking then Viktor grabs the mic to say something, tension..... Then Guisseppe has trouble navigating the streets he came in on yesterday and Viktor takes over again. A bit like a 3 ring circus. Get to tunnels which are right beside the airport. Go in and sit to watch a video with commentary from Nella. allmof a sudden she relates her life story of both parents killed by drunken Serb drivers, living with her Aunty who gets killed by the Serbs and then moving to live with her grandparents. All starting when she was 5 years old. Told of games with her cousins of finding live bullets to give to the army. Not too Much noise happening when she was telling that one.....

We walk through 25 metres of the tunnel. Only bumped my head 2 times, no blood though.

Back to town via some of the old olympic village accomodation places. Since bombed and looking very tired, many still with large she'll holes in their walls.

Traffic a bit ugly, then Viktor asks why she took us this way, she replies that it was the agreed way, Viktor wants to get away from the traffic, she says there is no way, quite funny listening to their banter. Not too sure she will want to work with him again or vice versa.

Finish walk and have 4 hours free. Decide to walk around the old town a bit more, get some lunch then off to a special dinner somewhere. Takes forever as the whole of Sarajevo is going the same way tonight. The trip takes us past the Olympic ice rink which is now derelict.

Restaurant is in the hills - a bit like the Cuckoo in the Dandenongs. We sit on the terrace beside a running creek with the bush coming down to the creek. Meal the best so far and even got an extra free drink on Globus.

Back to town and a beer with Wayne and Dianne, then back to pack bags.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.384s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb