Medieval folks should be sued


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Split
September 22nd 2015
Published: December 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.5127, 16.4424

Spent the entire day at Diocletian's home where he lived for his last six years. He died in 311 and was placed in the mausoleum he had built within the palace. Dio considered himself a God (son of Jupiter) so he was a bit upset at Christians who disagreed and persecuted them, although no Roman emperor persecuted as much as we are led to believe. At any rate, poor Dio was kicked out of his final resting place and replaced by a bishop.

Furthermore, the palace was largely destroyed during the middle ages in favor of building smaller homes inside the walls. Thus the title for the entry. They, of course, left the walls for defense. Presently two thousand people live within the walls as well as a great number of restaurants and various shops, which occupy much more space than the residents. This is a big space. While we are annoyed at folks for tearing down what he built, it nonetheless remains attractive.

We took some pictures from on high, which are the result of evil Handsome Pop forcing "innocent" Bird to climb another almost two hundred steps, many of these most folks would label a double step, so we are claiming at least three hundred steps. But the view and the cool breeze were amazing.

We are off tomorrow for Krka National Park, which is similar to Plitvice, although apparently not as impressive. Stay tuned, and we will let you know. Another stop will be made nearby to view the Cathedral of St. James erected between 1431 and 1536.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.282s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.087s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb