Split surroundings


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia
September 21st 2015
Published: December 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.524, 16.8178

Traveled from Dubrovnik to Split (both in Croatia) yesterday with a brief stop in Omis. The latter has a massive gorge through solid rock with a flowing river into the sea. Our only picture, however, is of a spring flowing out of solid rock. There is also a picture of a cute town hugging the coast of the Adriatic Sea.

Arriving in Split Sheila made contact with our host, and shoe horned Fred again into an impossibly small parking spot. Fred demanded to immediately walk the full three minutes from our apt to Diocletian's Palace. More on that tomorrow.

Upon returning from Dio's small house, we stopped at the market for wine, bread and cheese. Unbelievably, the most resourceful Handsome Pop later found a way to stream the Falcon's game, all the more enjoyable as we won.

On the morning of 21 September we made short trips to Salona and Trogir. The former was a provincial capitol for the Romans. Unfortunately, there are no standing buildings remaining. The amphitheater would have been in markedly better condition, except the Venetians attempted to destroy it before the advancing Turks. Actually, the Venetians did such things often. They milked their colonies eventually earning their just rewards.

Next came Trogir which, as Salona, was founded by the Greeks in the third century BC and later occupied by the Romans. It then became a significant medieval city, and that is largely what remains.

Bird now offers have you noticed there is much about Roman history? Fred, before his beeline to the next Roman archeological site, says he has not noticed this.

We are now in our sixth country and seventh apartment. With one exception we have been very pleased with our accommodations. Folks, it is not unbelievably expensive to travel in Europe. Just don't spend too many nights in the Ritz.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.261s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb