Kaleidoscope of cocktails in Korcula


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Korcula
May 6th 2008
Published: July 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

I woke to what I thought was the breakfast bell, I was amazed I had made it up, shortly after I realised that it was actually the lunch bell! Apparently only three people had made it to breakfast. Nathan rolled into the dining area looking a little worse for ware, I think it was seasickness although it could have been the sh*tload of beers and shots from the night before. Claire, who was rooming with him told us how he had been felling a little seedy before bed so grabbed the closest thing and puked into it. It just happened to be her bra! He then found a plastic bag and filled that, before using it as a pillow. Then in the morning, Claire awoke to see his hand fully stretched from the top bunk with the bag in it. He let it go! Thankfully for Claire it was tied at the top. (Sorry Nathan had to share mate). Scott cracked everyone up when he told us how he had spotted Teddy in the nightclub the night before dancing in front of the mirror looking at himself. When Scott confronted him and asked if he was watching himself dance in the mirror, Teddy replied ‘Damn, you saw that, I was hoping no one was watching’. Ha ha, good old Teddy.

After lunch we had to make a petrol stop, I think everyone was relieved to stand on solid ground for a while as the sea was a bit choppy that morning. The cook cranked out a fishing reel with a bizarre looking lure to catch octopus, everyone was getting restless as no one could see any octopus. Someone was suggesting another spot when he said ‘patience’. It made everyone laugh as he hadn’t spoken any English before that. All of the four Croatian crew had a good sense of humour and comic timing they seemed to know when to say the right thing.

Korcula was our next port of call; it was a medium sized town that is supposedly the birth place of Marco Polo. While meandering through the narrow, pretty streets Grant informed us that on one side of the town the streets were designed on an angle so the cold winds would not breach the town and streets on the other side were straight as to let the gentle sea breeze float through the town thus a cheap an effective early system of air-conditioning. I’m not sure how certain they are about Marco Polo being born there as there are no plaques or even a sign outside the house where he was supposedly born. After a walk around the town, the weather packed it in and started raining, so Nic and I went and relaxed back on the boat.

The sun came out once more in the late afternoon so we made our way to a cocktail bar which is perched on top of a fort turret. It was a bit of a tight squeeze to climb up the ladder and out onto the roof but it was worth it, the views were amazing. We ordered our cocktails and realised that they had a pulley system where the waiter would take your order, clip a bit of paper with the order onto a rope and pulley it down to the first floor bar. The barman would then make the drinks and put them in a tray that was pulleyed up. It was pretty bloody stylish really. We started to watch the sun set there but pizza was calling us so we found a nearby pizzeria and ordered. Chris, Claire, Teddy and I ran down to the seawall to take photos and saw an amazing sun set. I took gaziilions of photos. After dinner most people were knackered, a bunch of us decided to just go for a stroll and check out the local bar. It was pretty quiet but had a dart board so Rishi, Nathan, Clare and I played around the world. Rishi had the craziest style of darts I have ever seen, he looked like he was throwing a javelin as opposed to a dart. About two hours later we eventually had a winner ... me… Just kidding Claire, she thrashed all the boys.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



21st July 2008

justice
ahhh lucky you filled in the last sentence about my win. Just to clarify Nathan's spew details - he didn't close the bag, it was just a lucky drop - and hopefully he didn't pick up my bra for the stomach expulsion, I think it hit the things by accident - although it was drenched. He did well.

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb