Bulgaria - a great place to end our 6 weeks of travel


Advertisement
Bulgaria's flag
Europe » Bulgaria
August 5th 2014
Published: August 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

All good things must come to an end, and that includes holidays. So, Amy's amazing summer of travel needed a final destination - and Bulgaria proved to be a great finishing point.

The ski-town of Borovets was home for a few days, offering nice mountain views and good local restaurants. Borovets is easy to reach from Sofia... who knows, we may bring Amy back here to ski when she's older.

After all her chairlift fun in Georgia, a 30-minute chairlift up to Rila's 7 lakes was no bother to Amy. We made it to 4 or 5 of the lakes, it was incredibly scenic and Amy met lots of friendly Bulgarians some of whom even insisted on sharing their lunch with her!

The absolute highlight of our stay however was a trip up to Yastrebet on a 'gondola' cable car, followed by a long hike to the summit of Mt Musala (2925m), the highest point in Bulgaria as well as the whole of the Balkans. At first the weather was a bit disappointing with lots of cloud and even the threat of some thunderstorms, but Amy kept everyone's spirits high and was a brilliant little hiker - as always. On the way to the summit, there are a few mountain huts which offer handy places to stop off and grab a cup of tea or bite to eat. By the time we reached the summit the clouds had cleared and the sun was out. Amy awoke from a nap just in time to enjoy the fantastic summit views, as well as the attention of other hikers impressed that an 11-month old had made it all the way up there!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb