First birthday at the Eiger


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Wengen
August 24th 2014
Published: August 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

After all the travelling Amy has done in the past year we had to think of something extra special for her first birthday. We think Amy likes hiking - her mum and dad certainly do - so what better place to choose than the Bernese Alps in Switzerland which are home to some of Europe's most famous mountains, including the Eiger.

As you would expect in Switzerland almost everything ran to plan. The only exception was the weather. The cloud refused to budge for the first 2 days so we may as well have been in London for all we could see. We took Amy to Kleine Scheidigg and Eigergletscher on her birthday but encountered the type of cloud that you knew wasn't going to lift. However, the hotel did give us a lovely cake for Amy which made us feel better.

That evening, though, it began to clear and so we were hopeful for our final day. It was well worth the wait. We hiked from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidigg on a superb trail that gave us great views of the Jungfrau, the Monch and most especially the Eiger. We were all giddy with excitement, even Amy (we think!). To round off a great day we hiked the Eiger Trail from Eigergletscher to Alpiglen. This takes you right up close to and across the base of the famous north face. It was a fantastic experience seeing it up close and wondering how on earth anyone ever manages to actually climb it!

One year ago Amy kept us waiting 4 days past her due date. So we don't feel too bad that the Eiger views were only one day late for her this year....


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1115s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb