Day 4: Arrival at Vienna (Apr 2017)


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna
April 16th 2017
Published: June 3rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Sunday, 16th April 2017

After 3 nights in Munich, we started the first leg of our rail journey across Central Europe today. First up is the city of Vienna, the capital of Austria which lies some 400km east of Munich. We boarded the comfortable RailJet, RJ65 for the 4-hour journey and arrived at Vienna sometime after 3.30pm today. Lunch was settled on-board at the dining car which was a great experience for us.

Vienna that greeted us this afternoon was forward looking. The main train station was modern and spacious. For a while, we thought we were in some train stations in Japan. The crowds were thin and it was really easy to find our way to the hotel which was just opposite the station. The streets were well-paved and really clean. We had a room on the high floor which afforded a fantastic view of the city. The city is experiencing a rapid construction boom especially around the train station area.

After freshening up ourselves a bit in our room, we were soon on our way to the Museums Quarter where we had an early dinner at the ra'mien Restaurant. This was an All-Asian-Affair even though the bowl of pho that I had did not really resemble the version that I had in Vietnam at all. Nevertheless, after a couple of days of western meals in Germany, the ra'mien Restaurant was a refreshing change for us.

After dinner, we hung out a bit at the Museum area before catching the U-Bahn to Vorgartenstraße Station which offered a nice view of the Danube River. From there, it was photo-taking for the rest of the evening before we headed to the Prater, the historic amusement park nearby. H had a rather interesting ride that evening and I certainly hoped that he had a chance to relive his childhood memories through this visit 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.34s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 77; dbt: 0.2636s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb