Vienna


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna
December 5th 2014
Published: December 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

VIENNA – The Beautiful.

On our journey towards Vienna, we past through the first of many lock’s on the Danube. This lock was the biggest and a real treat for all.

The captain was controlling the entry and then raising of the ship in the lock, followed by release. What a sight as we went with -in 3 inches of the wall of the lock. The captain must have nerves of steel, but we did it, we were raised up to a great height, then went on our way.

After passing through our second lock for the night, we arrived in Vienna. What a truly beautiful city. Besides the spotless appearance, Vienna has some of the most amazing architecture every, and was a joy to be taken around the city on foot by an elderly stateswoman Elke! I/we had the most interesting history lessons with Elke today. As we trailed her around this amazing city, we also peaked our heads in the windows of some of the worlds most expensive houses. We saw window displays of sugared Christmas scenes, walked into incredible cathedrals, walking in a fairy land of castles, palaces and so on. Then we were let loose in the Christmas Markets. This time, very big, and so much of everything.

Vienna (or Wein its known in German) is truly an elegant and romantic city. I guess I can say that you will appreciate the grandeur of the monumental buildings that line the Ringstrasse, and around the hidden corners of Vienna.



Obviously, the Weiner Schnitzel and Sacher Torte are the most famous of foods known in this country, of which we all enjoy. There is the Sacher Hotel, where the Sacher Torte originated. Although there are many variations there is only one from one place that’s real. A 7 year court case evolved over who makes the real Sacher torte. Well after 7 years long, the judged rules that Sacher, of the Sacher Hotel makes the original Sacher Torte. But the opposing party in this law suit, makes the real Sacher torte. …..all much ado about nothing!



So felling somewhat tired out today, Mark and I have collapsed for the afternoon. We walked 5 hours around Vienna and the markets, so will see what happens in the remainder of the evening, maybe we will rally and go to see the night lights of the city one more time!!





Enjoy the photos though………tomorrow Melk Abby


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



6th December 2014

Food photos
Loving the updates but you must be starving by now.........can't be eating cause I've yet to see any food photos.
6th December 2014

Vienna
hahaha.... well, I have taken food photos Tracey, but remember half way through eating, coz the foods tasted so good and we were hungry each time, and then I remember to take a photo. I promise you...food pics to come!!!
6th December 2014
inside the church of st stephen

Cruisin!
Sounds like you are both having fun. Much colder there than Valencia. We are off to Madrid tomorrow. Have fun. Cheers R&M
6th December 2014
inside the church of st stephen

Cruisin!
Hey you two! hows your trip going? I've not got into my emails yet to catch up on your trip. Valencia sounds wonderful.....hope its warm for you. Its freezing here, and today its 4dg. Loving it though, 5 layers on, even have gotten hot. I feel like the a mini Michelin man at times, but warm. forgot how warm my long coat was!!! enjoy...look forward to seeing the photos of your trip next year!! xx
8th December 2014

Just loving all your news and pictures. Glad you are having a fabulous time x

Tot: 0.271s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0911s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb