St Nikolas Day at Melk Abby


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Lower Austria » Wachau
December 6th 2014
Published: December 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Melk AbbyMelk AbbyMelk Abby

from the outside looking back at the church section of Melk Abby
Today we are cruising through the picturesque countryside of Austria. Our only stop for today is Melk, of which we visit the stunning baroque Melk Abby!

Melk is known for one most important thing! Its been the important spiritual and cultural center in Austria for over 1000 years. The abby was once the residence of the Babenberg family, it became a Benedictine monastery in 1089 and was founded by Leopold II. For over 900 years now, Monks have continually lived and worked in 'Stift Melk" Melk Abby, following the rules laid down by St Benedict. They are: to be active in the Parishes, the school (of which there about 750 pupils), the economy, culture and tourism.



The monastery has been destroyed and rebuilt several times. Today's architecture dates from the beginning of the 18th century. Since 1978 extensive restorations of these splendid Baroque buildings have been carried out and adapted to meet the needs of the school, guests and cultural events. I just hope the pictures give justice to what my eyes behold!!



December 6 - St Nikolas Day or Heiliger Nikolas , the start of Christmas time!!

On this day, the saint,
inside Melk Abbyinside Melk Abbyinside Melk Abby

St Benedict...he's gold!
accompanied by the devil, asks children for a list of their good and bad deeds. Good children are given sweets (hence out chocolates in our shoes). The Christmas Eve dinner normally served up is baked carp (fish), please...not for dinner tonight!!!!



Anyways, with a day to relax, and cruise along the Danube through the beautiful Wachau Valley, its a great photo taking day, perhaps even play a board game.......


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

inside Melk Abbyinside Melk Abby
inside Melk Abby

more gold statues given as offerings from visitors. Actually made from wood and dipped in gold.
Melk AustriaMelk Austria
Melk Austria

Overlooking the village of Melk


6th December 2014

Melk Abby
What a amazing place thank you for sharing your travels with us Barbara if you are looking for another job "Tour Guide" is your calling cheers
7th December 2014

Hey Guys, It's good to see you guys are having a awesome time Traveling the world. The pics are great. Keep em coming.

Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb