Budapest the last days


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest » Buda
December 4th 2014
Published: December 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Illuminated ParliamentIlluminated ParliamentIlluminated Parliament

Parliament House on Pest at night
Budapest – final day

So here we are still in Budapest. The sun is shining, is it because we are leaving soon? Who knows, but I am grateful, because we are seeing the additional sights today, and climbing up on the Buda side of town.



So last night, the cruise slowing went on down the Danube so we could see the illuminations of the city. What an awesome sight that was. The best pics are in todays blog. The Parliament building, this stunning illuminated building is the 2nd largest parliament building in the world, just behind Rio . You will also see the beautiful Budapest Castle illuminated on the opposite side of the Danube. It truly was an awesome sight to see.

So, tripping around the city with a group of travelers from the cruise. We went gliding on down Andrassy Avenue. This has been in many a film, and its truly a picturesque avenue to walk down.

We went around one of the biggest thermal spas ever. The Hungarian government has as part of their health insurance, cover for people visiting the spa for treatment in the waters for healing from serious health complaints.
Buda CastleBuda CastleBuda Castle

The castle on Buda side part of the illuminations.
Not bad….I wonder if the Aussie government would go for this???

Onwards we went then, with a tour guide who was truly very delightful. As she told the stories of Budapest, she was also telling the stories of her family, present and past. Andrassy Ave houses some of the worlds Embassies, and her mother, who was 10 years old when the WW2 came to town, was given an apartment from her parents just behind the embassies, we went past and she later explained that the government gave as gifts (in a way) the ability to purchase the family home from the government, after the rehousing that took place after the war times. This apartment was provided to her mothers family, and resulting from this, the government some years later, gave each family the ability to purchase the family home only. She pays $3 per week and has only 10 years left to pay for property worth $100,000’s plus!!!

We drove past the Terra House, where again, it tells of the history of Hungry & Budapest during the years when they were rescued by the Russian revolution. ..We toured onwards to the Buda side of town, where many of the populace live, and landed atop in the Buda castle. I think you can see some of what we saw in the Panorama photo here. It truly was an amazing sight.

We finally finished up at the very first of the Christmas markets. Yes, it is a little small, but was quaint, and we enjoyed the last of the chimney cake (who really needed it!!!) and finally made our way back to the ship to depart on the cruise.

Did I mention we saw the 60th anniversary memorial of the Jews who were shot on the shores of the Danube by the Fascist group called Arrow Cross. Such a moving tribute here, and surprising in such a busy area, so very quiet. There are now only around 100,00 Jewish people living in Budapest, and over 450,000 were shipped off to concentration camps, never to be seen again.



This afternoon, we went on a long drive to a place called Esztergom, where we met back up with the cruise, that went on ahead of us. A drive through the country side of Hungry, very flat, and very non event ish!!



At least tonight,
us at Buda castleus at Buda castleus at Buda castle

all rugged up, 5 layers in fact, still icy cold and enjoying it. such beauty!
Mark and I managed to stay awake and enjoy dinner with some of the same bodies from the bus trip we had, so, we were off to a start.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Market Hall, PestMarket Hall, Pest
Market Hall, Pest

soooo many salami's!!!
60 anniversary memorial60 anniversary memorial
60 anniversary memorial

The Jewish 60th anniversary memorial on the banks of the Danube, where the fascist group, Arrow Cross, lined up and shot the Jewish peoples of the city, and they fell into the Danube. No discrimination, men women children, young old...very peaceful memorial visited daily of community members!


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb