Austria + an extended journey


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna
May 18th 2009
Published: May 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

You have got to see this place.... Riding along the Danube is an experience in itself... Sweeping river bends, lush forrest, the scent and sounds of the environment...

Accomodation is great - clean, easy to find (maps and the locals that help you to find your way is just a part of the challenges that present themselves...

Caught up with a couple (Ulrich and Monica) at breakfast, I had travelled with them across the Danube on a ferry... They are from Dusseldorf and also have a daughter who has done exchage in Sydney.... Interesting that when ever I am asked if I am English, I réspond with Nein, Australian - the reaction is of great interst.... The language barriers break down very quicky and the conversations flow in an interesting and very satisfing way...

Met up with a gentleman (Reinhardt) who is cycling with a buggy in tow - this guy is a riot and has cycling and camping down pat.... He is a retired truck driver who used to run between Germany and Italy... I'll fill in more on that later....

65km run today on to Linz.... Along the way I decided to detour past a water area to try out cable wasserskien. Well -gettingstalked by some woman in a car taking photos of me - getting intercepted by the Austrian polize, a very sincere apology by a 'drop dead gourgeous' Austrian lady named Urzula and an extra 45 km of doing a magical mystery tour of the Austrian country side - figuring out that I am in the Northern Hemisphere and the sun is in the south not the friggin North (as I have always known it to be for the past 47 years of my life) Only to find that the turn off for the Danube Bike path was absolutely 50 FRIGGIN METRES from the exit to the water park - I finally arrive in Linz 110km later....

Linz is a huge city - Thousands of inhabitants, probaly next to none that spreken sie Aussie etc....

I am riding through the centre of the city around 6pm dodging trams (Yep exactly like Bourke St in Melbóurne)....Who the F&%§ do you think is sitting outide the city hall with his pack an guitar - Vincent.... We've just had dinner & we're done for the night.... Had a great laugh about the last couple of days events...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb