Time to go home


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna
March 31st 2016
Published: April 9th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We arose at 3am and got ready. Our taxi was waiting as planned, and it took about 20 minutes or so the get to Vienna airport. We were able to check in quickly, and then went to the gate to wait. The flight was very lightly booked, so we did not have a problem as stand by passengers. They gave us our seat assignments right away.

We were flying Lufthansa flight 1247, from Vienna to Frankfurt. It was an Airbus 321 aircraft and I was in seat 30C.

Once at Frankfurt, we went to check in for our flight to Detroit. This flight was also very lightly booked, with maybe only 50 or so people on it total. We cleared easily for business class, and soon were off to Detroit.

It was Delta flight 87, and I was in seat 7A. I had a lovely baked cod meal in coconut sauce, and a few gin and tonics. I watched the latest Bond film "Spectre", and then had a 3 hour nap. We had a strong headwind and the flight took over 9 hours.

Just before arrival, I had some lobster sliders that were just ok. Once we landed, we cleared customs and immigration within 10 minutes. Security took over 30 minutes though. The flights to Indianapolis were not looking too good for stand by. They had been, but storms were messing up many flights in Detroit that day. We did not make the first one we tried at 5:25pm. It did not look like we would get the second one either, so we looked at flying to Fort Wayne and then hiring a car for the 2 hour drive. Well, the Fort Wayne flight canceled, so now we had to hope for the best. Anyways, seats started to open up and it soon had about 20 open. We were 2,3,4 on the list so I knew it would be okay. Only issue now, is that the weather had delayed it. It should have left at about 8:30pm, but left at close to 10pm instead. It was Delta flight 3755, a CRJ-900 aircraft. I was in seat 8D for the quick 40 minute flight down to Indianapolis. The storms had passed by now, so the flight was very smooth.

We had been up for 26 hours, so it was great to be home. We went to sleep pretty quick.

We really liked Vienna a lot! I am not sure what I had thought before, but Vienna exceeded my expectations. It had a unique charm in my opinion.

I would return to Vienna.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb