BMW European Delivery - Day Two


Advertisement
Europe » Austria » Upper Austria » Hallstatt
February 15th 2015
Published: March 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

At the end of what is bound to be one hell of a long travelogue I plan to thank the many great Bimmerfesters out there who guided me through the whole ED and negotiating process. However, at this point I need to say "thanks" to all those Travelbloggers who urged me to find a way to get to Hallstatt in Austria. In our many years of travel throughout Europe one thing or another always seemed to prev... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 68, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Magnificent View Obstructed by TreesMagnificent View Obstructed by Trees
Magnificent View Obstructed by Trees

The next hour was spent traveling down some excellent twisting mountain roads that were totally dry and devoid of potholes. The town of Bas Aussee looked particularly interesting as we passed through. Lots of folks were sitting outside at cafes drinking beers and we were tempted to stop, but the drunk driving laws in Europe scared me. We just got onto the B145 which went through more gorgeous mountain scenery before our GPS indicated we needed to start heading north. That drive took us on a long loop around some immense mountains and eventually down a very long twisting alpine road with spectacular vistas. When there finally was a place to pull off the road this was the best photo I could get. Next time I bring a hedgetrimmer.
Sankt WolfgangSankt Wolfgang
Sankt Wolfgang

Soon we were headed into familiar territory. Because we had done so many Sound of Music tours in the past we knew we were entering the Salzburg lake district. If it hadn't been a Sunday I might have stopped to do some shopping and picture taking, but I was hoping we might still have time to get to the Red Bull racing museum. I wasn't sure where it was but thought I remembered reading that it was in or near Fuschl. We were in and out of Fuschl a few minutes later but there were no signs for anything having to do with Red Bull. There was a complex of glass buildings on my left that looked promising but nothing indicated what it was. I later read that this was indeed Red Bull's world headquarters. But the actual racing and flight museum were instead located at Salzburg airport - a place we passed 4 times during our stay.
Sorry for the Lousy PictureSorry for the Lousy Picture
Sorry for the Lousy Picture

The Samsung wasn't taking great low light photos. In my pre-trip planning I had settled on two must-eat-at restaurants. The Sternbrau where we ate the first night was an old favorite. Once again listening to Rick Steves I decided we had to try the Ausgustiner Brauhaus where he seemed to have a great time. I was expecting a sit down restaurant.
Yes, We are ConfusedYes, We are Confused
Yes, We are Confused

The place was packed inside. We didn't really know what to do when we got inside. We garbbed one of the very few unoccupied tables in the main hall. After a few minutes of observing that everyone else was walking in with their own beers I went out of the room over to the cashier's booths where people were lining up. I told the girl at the till that I wanted two beers, paid her and got a ticket. She told me to grab two mugs from the big rack on the wall. I understood everything she said in German. I then washed-out the two mugs in the big fountain in the center of the vestibule. A few steps away was the surly beer dispenser guy who yanked the mugs out of my hands. He then spilled almost as much beer out of my mug as he poured into it.
Now We Have This Figured OutNow We Have This Figured Out
Now We Have This Figured Out

Meanwhile Gail observed people walking into the main hall carrying plates of food from the doors on the other side of the room. I went out to explore and found a farmer's market-like aisle full of food stalls. Gail joined me as we ordered up bounteous yet cheap plates full of food. After finishing off our dinners we ordered a second round of beers from a freshly tapped barrel that virtually exploded when the beer guy first uncorked it. To end the evening here I decided to try the spiral cut radishes that people were devouring by the plateful. They were extremely salty but not untasty. I could grow to like them. We didn't hang around much longer because we had an evening at the brine baths arranged.



8th March 2015

I also avoided the Austrian autobahn to avoid paying...
but the speed limits constantly change on the back roads between villages so I got caught speeding and had to pay the ticket on the spot.

Tot: 0.304s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.2528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb