BMW European Delivery - Day Two


Advertisement
Europe » Austria » Upper Austria » Hallstatt
February 15th 2015
Published: March 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

At the end of what is bound to be one hell of a long travelogue I plan to thank the many great Bimmerfesters out there who guided me through the whole ED and negotiating process. However, at this point I need to say "thanks" to all those Travelbloggers who urged me to find a way to get to Hallstatt in Austria. In our many years of travel throughout Europe one thing or another always seemed to prev... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 68, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Avalanche FencingAvalanche Fencing
Avalanche Fencing

Unfortunately the camera didn't do a great job of capturing it but in this shot the whole mountainside is covered in steel mesh to keep snow and rocks from falling down on the very narrow road between the mountain and lake.
Hallstatter SeeHallstatter See
Hallstatter See

We found another parking area right after getting on the L547 road that followed the shoreline of this huge mountain lake.
Time for Some TrespassingTime for Some Trespassing
Time for Some Trespassing

Next to the parking area I saw a series of concrete steps with an iron handrail leading down to an outcropping where two boathouses were set-up. There were no "Eintritt Verboten" signs posted so I made my way down the icy steps. At first I was a bit worried someone would come out of one of the buildings to yell at me, but as I walked around I realized that they were only used in the summer.
Almost the Shot I WantedAlmost the Shot I Wanted
Almost the Shot I Wanted

I've seen this view a million times on travel posters, jigsaw puzzles, TV specials and advertisements and I came darn close to capturing the traditional image, but ran out of real estate. The little outcrop of rock I was on was not quite wide enough to get the village church spire into the picture frame. Perhaps all the travel photographers use a boat to peer around that corner of the hillside in the distance.
Another Try Another Try
Another Try

Close again but not quite it. To the right of the picture you can see the huge long tunnel that we had to drive through to get to the actual town. Up until the late 1950's the town was isolated and only a one lane road led to the town. After being discovered by tourists the miles long tunnel was build through the mountain.
The Opposite Side of the LakeThe Opposite Side of the Lake
The Opposite Side of the Lake

Across the water there was no road. Only the train tracks hug this side of the mountain. Arriving travelers deboard the train somewhere over there and then must take a passenger ferry boat across to the town of Hallstatt. While we were walking around in town we saw quite a few people getting off the little ship dragging their bags behind them.
Winter Wood StorageWinter Wood Storage
Winter Wood Storage

Throughout rural Germany and Austria one sees huge stores of chopped wood. Obviously many homes are still heated by woodstoves. The smell is everywhere. Often when we're at home when Gail and I smell burning firewood we flash back to Germany/Austria. What was odd was that there were no homes anywhere in the area. It looked freshly cut.
Our Pretty New Car is Looking Filthier by the MinuteOur Pretty New Car is Looking Filthier by the Minute
Our Pretty New Car is Looking Filthier by the Minute

And worse, we were tracking in a lot of road grit on our tan carpet. I hope the BMW shipping folks clean it up for us.
An Interesting U-TurnAn Interesting U-Turn
An Interesting U-Turn

After emerging from that long tunnel through the mountain we drove through an itty-bitty little town. I kept driving looking for the market square we had seen in Rick Steves' video of Hallstatt. After a few miles of driving without seeing any kind of commercial development we came to a remote parking lot that served as the auxilary lot for a ski resort. We had missed Hallstatt. As I fumbled around trying to put the car in reverse and then drive I stopped to take this shot of one of the old cable cars the ski resort once employed.
Screwed-Up AgainScrewed-Up Again
Screwed-Up Again

We knew there had to be a town somewhere back there. We followed signs for the town bus terminal. I assumed that a bus stop had to be near the middle of town. But as we headed down this ever-narrowing road we never saw a bus stop or a town. There were more than a few Zimmer Frei homes, but we couldn't find a Hallstatt.
Closed for the SeasonClosed for the Season
Closed for the Season

Well, they sure weren't headed this way. We noticed that the people strolling around were all headed down toward the lake so we followed.
This Must be the WayThis Must be the Way
This Must be the Way

The path we followed brought us to the Hallstatt Tourism Office and its public toilets. Here we saw more people, in fact some busloads of Asian tourists. To our left and parallel to the tunnel we had drive through was a pedestrians only road leading to the town.
Honoring the Local Salt MinersHonoring the Local Salt Miners
Honoring the Local Salt Miners

Hallstatt was settled long before the Romans started their empire building. Because of its easily defensible locale and the abundance of salt in the mountainside it became an important trading area between southern and northern Europe.
Tourist Info in EnglishTourist Info in English
Tourist Info in English

We were lucky to avoid the huge throngs of visitors Hallstatt has to endure each summer. There were other tourists this day but or the most part they stayed out of our way and vice versa.
I Missed the TrainI Missed the Train
I Missed the Train

At this very moment my Panasonic DMC FZ200 camera battery died. Stupid Magnus left the spare battery in the hotel. For the rest of the day I had to use my Samsung Galaxy 5's camera. Not easy to use for a spontaneous shot. On the opposite side of the lake a passenger train passes by. I didn't zoom in properly but it is out there, believe me.
It Must be Insane Here in the High SeasonIt Must be Insane Here in the High Season
It Must be Insane Here in the High Season

The road through town was indeed very narrow and we had to be ever vigilant of the occasional locals' car coming up from behind us. If the streets were crowded it might be pretty tough to get by. I imagine it gets like the boardwalk at the Shore in the summer.



8th March 2015

I also avoided the Austrian autobahn to avoid paying...
but the speed limits constantly change on the back roads between villages so I got caught speeding and had to pay the ticket on the spot.

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb