Hitler, Mozart, and Captain Von Trapp


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
July 17th 2006
Published: August 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well it was time to leave the luxury and fun times we had with Vicki in Munich and hit the road and campsites again. Whilst part of us was looking forward to our onward journey, we also loved being stationary for a while. We had already decided that maybe we were getting too old for the camping lark, and that next time we decided to do a big trip like this that maybe we would just get a nice big campervan and do camping in style.

We left Munich and headed down to Berchtesgaden, which was a major Nazi seat of power and home to many of the major players of the party. Hitler himself had a 'summer residence' called Eagles Nest, but hardly ever actually went there.

We were on a tight schedule as we had to get to Salzburg for the afternoon Sound of Music Tour !! which we had booked on, so headed off after a couple of hours towards our date with Maria.

As we were visiting Salzburg we felt that we had to do the tour, even if not a fan of the movie, it is a great opportunity to see some beautiful scenery. Having about 3 listed in the Lonely Planet guide we didn't know which one to do so consulted the Travel Blog site and got some valuable help and reviews of all the tours. The one we had initially decided against was rated the highest by fellow bloggers, so we thought lets try it out. Bob's tours was great, a small group with a very enthusiastic guide called - you guessed it Maria - and we all had a good time and saw all the main sights, plus loads of others that she thought we would be interested in. All in all, well worth it. I can recommend that if you want to get some info on anywhere, this sight is actually a very good resource, and not just full of people like us who are just keeping an online diary for friends. Some of the people on this site are serious travel writers waiting to be discovered.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Berchtesgaden and Eagles Nest Berchtesgaden and Eagles Nest
Berchtesgaden and Eagles Nest

Hitlers summer residence on top of the far hill
Salzburg City LanesSalzburg City Lanes
Salzburg City Lanes

Tiny little streets with really ornate signs out the front showing what trade was practiced there. Now even McDonald's has signs in keeping with tradition
Salzburg City LanesSalzburg City Lanes
Salzburg City Lanes

Tiny little streets with really ornate signs out the front showing what trade was practiced there. Now even McDonald\'s has signs in keeping with tradition


Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 86; dbt: 0.1117s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb