Vienna and more Mozart


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
July 19th 2006
Published: August 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Vienna approached and we had already booked into a hotel before we left Munich as the campsights were out of town and we wanted to be close to the city as there was lots to see and we had little time. The trip from Salzburg to within about 1km of the hotel in Vienna was easy although the last few streets took us well over an hour. It was just one way streets after another and everytime we thought OK, this must get us there, you hit another dead end, which sometimes we even ignored and sped through no entry signs but even that didn't help. Most of the time we had probably been within 300m of the place and eventually decided to park up and walk. They even sent someone out to the car to help us navigate into the hotel car park, it was that bad (apparently it happens quite regularly according to the hotel). Navman - you would have even been challenged to find you way through that maze.

Vienna itself is beautiful as you would expect, having been the home of art and music culture in Europe for centuries. Everywhere you turned were ornate buildings and references to its famous past. We did our own walking tour of the town and the Hofburg palace including a really interesting museum dedicated to Empress Elizabeth (more widely known as Sissi), a reluctant queen obsessed with maintaining her beauty and youthful appearance, was very interesting to read about her life reminded you a bit of Princess Diana. In the evening we went to a Mozart and Strauss concert at the Schonbrunn palace (the bigger and more impressive summer palace), which was great.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Schloss Schonbrunn - Summer Palace GardensSchloss Schonbrunn - Summer Palace Gardens
Schloss Schonbrunn - Summer Palace Gardens

Not bad for the Pagola out the back


15th April 2007

Vienna
What you describe as the town hall actually is the Parliament building, recently renovated and re-opened. The Vienna Town Hall is right next to the Parliament, a bit further north.

Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb