The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Music...


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
May 10th 2006
Published: May 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well we survived another overnight train ride from Rome to Salzburg, Austria after spending a good 7 hours in Rome doing laundry and killing time before our 10 pm departure for Austria...We squeezed like sardines in our couchette and woke up at 6 am to the most beautiful snow capped mountains and bavarian looking villages in Austria. We have spent the past two days in Salzburg, the home of Mozart and The Sound of Music. IT IS GORGEOUS AND SO CLEAN AND PEACEFUL here--a major change from Rome!

I caved in today and participated in my first organized tour--specifically for cheesy tourists--Blair, ALyssa and I took the Sound of Music tour and it was worth every penny. We rode around in a big white bus with about 30 other tourists listening to the Sound of Music Soundtrack and singing along and seeing all the famous movie sites--the Von Trap house, the lake where the children fall in, the church where the baron and Maria got married, the Abby where Maria lived, the glass gazebo where Liesel and Rolf danced, the gardens where the children and Maria pranced around singing Do, Rae, Mi...and the mountains where Maria twirlled around proclaiming that the hillls are alive with the sound of music. We took our own footage reeanacting the scene on our digital cameras in the middle of a meadow that the tour took us to...hey we figured if we are going to opt for the cheesiness we might as well go all out!

Yesterdaz we saw Mozart´s home and had beer, sausage and saurkraut at a church turned beer hall on the Salztach River. Tomorrow we are headed to Hallstat, Austria--a town with a population of just 960 and the worlds biggest ice caves!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



11th May 2006

Did you make clothes out of curtains?
I mean I am just checking to see how far you took this whole Sound of music thing...... I have senior dinner tonight---Kilty and Carny. Oh---Eric Brideland is leaving UPS for an assistant job at Pepperdine. Good beer and dogs in Austria? miss you, suz
14th May 2006

yaayyy
hey sarah, what a good year to go to salzburg, mozart's 250th bday year! all the choirs at sonoma sang all mozart this semester so I have special appreciation for him now. Glad u did the sound of music tour :) I LOVE Austria... was just in Vienna for 6 hours so I have to go back someday. Take care!!!

Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0641s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb