Middle Earth and Beyond...


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
October 19th 2005
Published: October 20th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hot on the heels of the Vienna blog, we present you with a gripping Salzburg edition!

Apologies first, its an injustice to the city that we don't have USB facilities to show you how absolutely gorgeous-looking this place is.

Travelling through the scenic Austrian countryside to get here raised our expectations and I'm pleased to report that it has lived up to our own hype. It's considerably smaller than what we have got used to visiting and the fact that it is encircled by pine trees and mountains gives it a remote feel.

We've certainly gone for it on the new experiences here, we climbed high in a cable car (that Dan didn't feel entirely comfortable with) to the peak of the 1853 metre high Unterberg mountain. Took some breathtaking arty photos that we can't wait to show you. We felt like three hobbits scrambling through the landscape of Middle Earth. Dan hardly looked dressed like one, ensuring he was the coolest hiker-dude up there by refusing to be parted with his trendy blazer - yes even on top of a mountain.

Hit the local jazz bar that looked suspect from the outside, what with it being in the basement of Austria's former Communist HQ, but it turned out to be a very cool place that served beer in unusually thin and tall 1/2 litre glasses. However Sam would like to add that me and Dan looked somewhat camp sat together on a leather sofa whilst sporting our trendy new H&M scarves.

But Im not gonna let Sam get away with such remarks and shall therefore reveal her embarrasing moments of the day...poor Sam, walking down a steep hill from the castle our token femme took up pursuit of me whilst running down the hill, only for her to mount Dan's unsuspecting achilles and fall flat on her back. It wasn't funny in the slightest.

Other escapades include sampling a variety of tasty local dishes including goulash, schnitzel and potato grostl. Mmmmmm. Saw some cool churches and the city cathedral as well as some symmetrically-designed public gardens, complete with nice fountains to feed my developing addiction.

Misfortune continued when she exhaled half the icing sugar from atop her apple strudel onto her face and across her new jacket when Dan made her laugh mid bite. That was funny :o)

Only negatives about Salzburg has been the high volume of tourists and the ridiculously numerous Mozart chocolate shops. Mozart and choc? The links a mystery. Besides, the guy found Salzburg stifling so its strange to sell the place off his name. It was a let-down to find his statue all suffocated in polythene too, perhaps symbolic of the city ignoring what Mozart really thought of the place. Of course it may have been the fact that a load of building work was going on next to the chap. Sam suggests they instead construct a tent over him so that we could take pictures (grr) and perhaps sell even more chocs. All in all though we rate Salzburg as awesome.

On to Venezia tomorrow, so 'Ciao'

Ben Sam & Dan

Advertisement



20th October 2005

missing
have we missed munich and milan. Look forwards to the pics.
21st October 2005

:o)
Sounds like you guys are having a great time! I think I'll get back to playing Pro Evo 5 now...
21st October 2005

Payback
Awe poor Sam falling, I hope you didn't hurt yourself. I did have a chuckle though reminded me of put-put golf! Sounds like you are all having fun enjoying the different cultures - looking forward to seeing the pictures - enjoy :)
23rd October 2005

Bit late for chocs but...
Can't enlighten anyone as to why the chocs and Salzburg but could have suggested trying some for the marzipan lovers (not many I know!) as they are quite yummy. Always a gift to mme from Ruth Dan but never even offered to share. Keep on trekking Mum/Deb

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb