Gjirokastra, the UNESCO Museum City!


Advertisement
Albania's flag
Europe » Albania
October 17th 2007
Published: October 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

collapsed...collapsed...collapsed...

many of these around..the houses are very nice...pretty unique....but I guess cos its in UNESCO now.....cant rebuild...and they dun wanna spend money on rennovation....
Woke up early to catch a bus to Gjirokastra.
On the map, it wasn't far..but it was a 7 hours bus ride!!! OMG.....so tired..
Albania has some of the worst roads!!! and they were all winding roads in the moutains! I see a lot of construction going on, so I guess the situation will improve.
People are very helpful as well. You just stand at the bus station and ask someone for the destination, and they will somehow get you there. I like it in the city that they don't rip tourist off, which is nice. Only people at the port rips tourist off....-__-"

Anyways, finally got to Gjirokastra and went to the B&B listed in LP, not bad!! right up the hill so it was close to the old stuff. The town was nice....very cosy...laid back...Walked around and went to the Castle, where there was a Armory museum, with weapons they took from all other European countries during the WWII! haaa....all in Albanian, so didnt really understand much......

Then, decided to have some local Albanian food, which is very similar to the other cuisine in the Balkans....
Had some Veal's Brain and Tongue soup.........and some so-called salad, but
why is there an EU flag there?!why is there an EU flag there?!why is there an EU flag there?!

not just here..its everywhere!! WHY??
its actually a dip....
weird but not bad.=) I actually really liked the soup! haaaaa....sorta like "Ngau Jap".....in soup....

After that. really not much to do.......went back to the hostel, surprisingly had an English Movie on a regular channel! haaa..so watched it all night...haaaaa! Some cheesy American teen movie....very entertaining.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

the clock towerthe clock tower
the clock tower

in the castle...
Albanian soldier costumeAlbanian soldier costume
Albanian soldier costume

pretty...not protective, but WARM!


Tot: 0.321s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb