S. America: 6: Barbados; Curacao; Cartagena; Panama Canal


Advertisement
Published: June 27th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

South America cruise: Part 6


BarbadosBarbadosBarbados

one little bird
Port 18: Friday 3rd. March: Barbados: Caribbean: A tour around this green island to Harrison's Cave with an interesting carriage ride through the coral cave. We had glimpses of the yuppy golf club and grounds and then some beautiful homes.

Port 19: Sunday 5th. March: Curaceo: Caribbean: This is a Dutch colony and our tour today started off from a very neat and clean port with our guide Julianna to a slave museum where we were given an introduction to life on the island as lived by the slaves. The east coast was wild with waves crashing up onto the coral rocks. Back by the bus we found a couple of iguanas - very lovely little creatures. After lunch we visited some caves - not as glamorous as the others though there were some bats in there. It was a quick tour of the city, a walk into the old fort and a step onto the floating bridge before returning to the ship.

Port 20: Tuesday 7th. March: Cartagena: Colombia: We had been here before in 2014 but not on the river cruise so we entered the city from a different spot as we went on a walking tour
BarbadosBarbadosBarbados

Harrison's Cave
of the old town and of course seeing and admiring it from another aspect before arriving at the Parrot Emporium located near where the ship berthed.

Wednesday 8th. March: Panama Canal: We had queued up the night before to get into position for traversing the Panama Canal, this time from East to West and still for me with a thrill of excitement. A new bridge is being constructed across the canal and the new canal is open with large gas tankers moving through and they need safe space so we and other ships waited in Lake Gatan until we were given the go ahead to move on. We spied a couple of alligators and capybara on the banks and of course plenty of birds in the midst of tropical rain showers. The sun was going down as we came out west by Panama City.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

BarbadosBarbados
Barbados

Harrison's Cave
BarbadosBarbados
Barbados

Harrison's Cave
BarbadosBarbados
Barbados

The Golf Club
CuracaoCuracao
Curacao

The slave museum
CuracaoCuracao
Curacao

the green iguana
CuracaoCuracao
Curacao

the grey iguana
CuracaoCuracao
Curacao

Flamingos
CuracaoCuracao
Curacao

The caves
CuracaoCuracao
Curacao

The floating bridge


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0725s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb