....around Nassau Town we did roam......28th May 2012


Advertisement
Published: May 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We are up early and go down for breakfast at around 08:00

Today we are in Nassau in the Bahamas, so we have decided to spend a day at the beach. The boat will be in Nassau from 07:00 with “all aboard” at 14:30. We walk off the ship, but as we get to the Cruise terminal, we are bothered by guys trying to get us to take various tours of the island. We push on through the town; it is still early morning so places are still opening up. We are heading for the beach; we pass the Colonial Hilton Hotel. But we are not impressed with the area that seems to be a bit rundown with a lot of properties are derelict. We eventually arrive at the beach; again we are not too impressed with the beach, it is not what we visualized of Nassau. We decide to head back to the ship. We take a different route that passes through the shops that are now beginning to open. There is a load of jewellery shops all fully staffed, waiting for the tourists from the three ships that have now docked: as well as our ship there is a Carnival Cruise Ship and a Disney Ship that have also docked. We go through the security and get back on board and go for lunch.

After lunch we sunbathe and snooze, with the occasional cocktail until around 16:00, then we make our way back to our cabin to bet changed for dinner. Tonight is the formal evening, and a lot of folk have tuxedos and evening dresses. We have not brought any formal clothes due to the travel prior to the cruise, so we miss out on getting dressed up! We go for dinner at 18:00, again it is a great menu. I have Lobster Bisque and the Seafood Brochette, with Strawberry Cheesecake to follow.

We spend some time exploring the different decks and getting ourselves oriented. We then go along to the Royal Promenade where the ship photographers are doing a roaring trade taking pictures of passengers with the Captain and pictures of families all in their formal togs. I have never seen some many people having their photographs taken! Just standing around I am ask to take three photographs of various folk with their cameras. I am temped to go into business with my own camera!

The Captain makes an appearance and introduces his crew. (I had a side bet with Di that he would be Scandinavian, possibly Norwegian – and yes he turns out to be a Norwegian called “Johnny”)

We then go to the casino and have a challenge -$50 each and see how can win the most (or lose the least as the case may be!) I win $31 on blackjack and slots, and Di wins $18 on Roulette.

We then decide to call it a day and head back to our cabin, and bed


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 46; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb