'I Heard It On The Grapevine'


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
November 12th 2011
Published: November 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Free & CruisingFree & CruisingFree & Cruising

Guatemala Hidaway
As I explore the Rio Dulce I am discovering its hidden assets. For those of you who are cruisers this up river harbor offers a selection of excellent marinas to choose from. This is the safest haven from hurricanes this side of the Caribbean. It is a safe place to refit, resupply and prepare to cast off. Slip fees are around the $350 a month and there are plenty of marine supply stores in Rio Dulce that offer construction supplies that can handle any repairs. There is a qualified SAMS Marine Surveyor who has single handed the seven seas on an around the world cruise. He not only built his own yacht, he has repaired and worked on almost any craft you can mention. He knows his business and has a honest no nonsense approach.

There are also a number of expatriates that will do repairs or insure well trained Guatemalan workers are selected to handle the job. My advice is to find a qualified expatriate to handle all the Guatemalan subcontractors though to insure all repairs are well done. Brunos offers a great place to tie up your launch and the gentleman at the exit gate, Kevin has a wealth of knowledge on the local happenings and qualified contractors. I recommend speaking to him and even purchasing a plant from his nursery. He is a wealth of knowledge and will point you in the right direction.

If you happen to be a backpacker I really recommend the Roundhouse down river between Livingston and Rio Dulce. It is one of the best run and operated on the river and you are insured of leaving with your belongings intact and having a most enjoyable stay.

I hope this information is useful to those who want to experience this hidden paradise.







Advertisement



Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0135s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb