Eighth week in Utila


Advertisement
Published: March 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Blog bit late this week!


This second one for week, sent same day in the end as was having problems with USB memory card reader and thought was not going to be able to do pickies!
Luckily borrowed one at cafe that works so thought would post both, been in here for 3 hours! lol


Funny thing is my memory stick gone up the spout too keeps saying device not recognised, which bummer cos was going to use Dianes laptop to type up first then cut and paste at internet cafe, never mind! Lucky only roughly a pound an hour for internet.

This weeks activities!

As you saw from the last blog I Moved into my new home on Sunday.


Monday enjoyed my first day of freedom walked into town for tortilla espanol and do some food shopping to stock up the kitchen.
Also walked up to the iguana station to return a book and quick high to the guys and explain why i did not meet them for dinner sunday night (remember i was waiting in the dark on the porch!).


Weather was wet and cloudy so watched Arsenal game in La Pirata and then home for pork chops and mash.


Sunnier Tuesday so popped down the road to see Urs (swiss guy who built the school house) to see what he get up to working at the Utila boatyard.


Met the volunteers in the evening for dinner at Munchies as Kev and Liz were due to leave this week. Heading to Guatamala and eventually Canada, have a safe and good trip guys.


We tried out a new bar called Main Street (on the main street lol).
Reminded me of a student bar on Albert road or Elm grove lol done out simply, good music and for opening night rum and coke only 20 lims but they were bit stingy on the portion control so we ended up going to Tranquila after.
Also heard that the new bar used to be a hoare house!


Wednesday returned to the really hot weather and i just chilled reading a book on the porch steps occassionally looking up at the view!
Pompey game was on in the afternoon (think it was an evening game at home) so went to La Pirata and met up with some of the volunteers.

Also watched Barcelona game and the Tottenham Fulham FA cup game, nothing went our way!


Calamity James was appearing lol but to be fair he did make a few excellent saves.
Lets hope we beat Tottenham in semis, see some of you have tickets to Wembley.


After the footy went home for some dinner then off to La Cueva as Mandy's fella Gabrielle was having his snorkel test. The snorkel test is used for divers qualifying for their Divemaster qualification (6 - 8 weeks diving) so is a sort of ritual passage to qualification!


Basically the snorkling candidate puts on a diving mask and a snorkel which has a funnel taped to the top of it. Then for a 20 second count Rum and coke are poured into the funnel and the snorkler must chug away.

Then beer is poured into their mask and they have to do a mask clear doing the signals!lol

Gabrielle not really a drinker and was worse for wear after, mind you he had a few while waiting for his test.


Thursday was really hot and had Linus and Tim pop down to visit me, think they were supposed to be doing station tasks lol.

We had a play in the peddelo and snorkled off it, the rudder did not work properly so one of us had to get in the water to steer and power it.

After this we got 3 of the kayaks out and paddled to Driftwood nbar, tied up the kayaks and had lunch and a few beers before paddling back to the house.


Been spending lots of time just chilling reading books or writing my blog / diary of events.

Have had to start writing lists lol so i dont forget stuff on my lonmg walk into town, mid you keeping me fit!

Did try looking for a pushbike to rent but might just stick to the walking.

Saturday the volunteers (Andy, Charlotte, Tim, Sami, Linus and Helen) came round to the house to go kayaking. Some of em turned up a bit late as they had been out late friday night.
We set off about 12 o'clock using the 4 kayaks at mine and hiring one from the Coral Bay hotel.


We paddled around to the lagoon and up through the canal to the north of the island where we turned left towards Turtle Harbour as not been there before.
Was quite weird as the sea was so shallow the kayaks grounded and we had to get out and walk and tow the kayaks, felt quite weird being so far out from the shore and the water was as warm as a warm bath!


Stayed at the Turtle beach for a few hours (beach named as turtles lay eggs there) sitting in hollowed out shapes in the sand so was like sitting in a natural jaccussi without the bubbles!


Then paddled home, was tiring on the way back!


I was having mandy and Gabrielle round for dinner that evening so quickly rushed into town to get some ice cream and met them on way there.

Dinner was a bit of a farce in the end a catalogue of disasters!


Prepared the potatoe dauphinoise with cheese garklic and cream and put in the oven. Then we could not find the barbecue, when we did we struggled to get it to light but did in the end.


Then when walked into kitchen heard a bang and smoke came out of the oven, opened it to find the glass dish had "blown up" and craked letting milk and cream leak out onto the gas flame! Did not have a rack in the oven and assume the dish did not like being near the flames.lol


So we cooked rice!
Chicken was nice on the barby though, had been marinading it in garlic and lemon for whole day.

Sunday chilled at home popped into town to meet Tim and Helen in La Pirata as was the barmens (John) birthday, Helen had got him a card and some cake for us to share, nice touch!

Then we met the others in La Picante mexican for dinner as Margie leaving next Wednesday to go to Guatamala for hwer next volunteering time at a zoo.


Oh well dont forget to send me mesages via this blog or facebook or email to keep me up to speed with events at home.

Larf


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



30th March 2010

Hola!!
Hey there Great to catch up on your news! Can't believe how fast time is passing. Glad to hear you didn't get any leaky kayaks like the last volunteers tee hee. Hope the fun continues. Leila xx
30th March 2010

stay at homes and bored
enjoying your blog mark also printing one off for ken next door he is intrigued by your journey as I am. last thing from your mind I am sure but neighbours perfect. congrats on your correct decision. I have stopped worrying about you now enjoy enjoy enjoy ''''''''' wendy and david

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 19; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb