Day 3 - are we there yet? where are we????? Opps!


Advertisement
Published: June 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We woke breakfasted etc as usual.

We had the day to ourselves and decided to go out again in the car on a little explore. We headed around the coast to Crown Point, and went on a magical mystery tour. Our aim: To find Robinson Crusoes Cave (I read the Penguin version before leaving home).

The cave was marked (very approximately) on a map I had from my mum - last used in the 1990’s. We drove to the bay the cave was supposedly on. The road took us around the perimeter of the airport very close to the runway and the planes. The road lead to some bushes and then stopped!

We turned around and had another look to see any signs of the cave, and I spotted a tiny sign, we followed it and ended up at a house, after following the route twice I decided to get out the car and have a look. The cave was down the back of the garden, a very dodgy set of steps down the cliff face and some wooden boards led to the tiniest cave ever. An adventure, but the end result a little disappointing.

We then headed to the main town Scarborough, looked at some forts (one by the hospital we found taking the steepest, smallest back road.). We then decided to go and see if we could find a dam and a waterfall.

We drove to Hope and turned down a ‘Secondary’ road (slightly smaller than the tiny Major roads we used. We then looked of the turning on our right shown on the crappy map. We passed what looked like a small track, headed on for a while then decided that was it so turned back and took the junction.

Grass grew in the middle of the tarmac, the road went up at an approxiamately 90’ angle. The road wiggled, it turned, it got smaller. We ended up in the middle of the rainforest driving underneath fallen bamboo. After some time we came to a clearing, the road was crumbling over the edge of the hill and followed the top of the hill (which was the width of the road). It was narrow and windy, we would not have wanted to reverse. The view was stunning, although our dam and waterfall were nowhere to be seen. We carried on regardless - no choice really. Passing abandoned cars and little else we began to wonder if our ‘road’ went anywhere! It turned into a dirt track ‘no worries, there’re power lines so clearly we’re heading somewhere’ I said optimistically. Eventually our track turned into full tarmac and we arrived at Moriah which was the other side of the island to where we thought we should be! We carried on and got back to our hotel unexpectedly and as it was lunch time stopped for a bite to eat. We then headed out again to look at some more forts.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

My arse!My arse!
My arse!

Thanks for the great photo Wayne!
In the caveIn the cave
In the cave

Not at all disappointing!


Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 97; dbt: 0.0737s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb