Little Corn Island Day 8


Advertisement
Published: May 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hi All! Apparently Travelblog is updating their site & there are still some kinks to work out. So for now I can't add captions the photos. We're just going to post the blogs anyway. We've put them in order of events during the day. For example, today's photos are of the daddy dog & his baby girl pup playing, our cabana, Felipe working on my necklace, Geoff on a palm tree, us in our cabana, me cracking up at something Geoff said, dinnertime.

Geoff woke up before me today! This is the first time since we left home that this has happened I think. Wow. I didn't even wake up when he got out of bed. Amazing. Probably because this bed is so ridiculously comfortable & with the constant cool breeze I sleep so well.

This morning we sat with Ana & Marc & Lola & Surya & had coffee & talked about the weather & hurricanes & Semana Santa & shoes. Ana said shoes are very difficult for her to wear when she has to head into Managua or go home to Barcelona because she never wears shoes here. Such an interesting concept. It is fun to sit with the family here. It's like you become a part of the family while you are here. Lola & Surya want us to play games with them. Geoff actually drank his coffee while building Legos with the kids. We talk about life with Ana & Derek as though we are family. It is really nice. Then you look around & you are in paradise to top it all off. Ana told us funny stories about the cabana we are in being lifted up by Hurricane Ida & a small tornado. She said it lifted & moved across the yard & everything inside was in perfect shape, the bed was still made, everything was on the shelves. Super funny to visualize.

Now I am sitting on our deck, typing away & only hearing the waves & the wind blowing in my ears. I am going to cry when we leave. For sure. The sun is so bright on the sea right now that it is difficult to look at, it's so shiny..

We decided to walk along the beach & eat at Little Corn Beach Bungalow for breakfast. We heard a rumor they have Eggs Benedict & that is my fav at home so we'll see. On our way there we passed Leticia & Felipe who were sitting at a little table in front of where they are staying. Very rustic little cabanas that are sitting on the beach. They've been here for a few months & are only paying $12 a night to live there. Not bad. Felipe was working on my necklace when we walked up. It is going to be beautiful. I'm super excited.

Our tummies were grumbling so we said goodbye for now & headed down the beach a little ways more.

LCBB wasn't serving Eggs Benedict, sadly, but I had a mushroom & bacon omelet that was fantastic so I was ok. Geoff had Nicca Eggs (fried eggs with salsa) & gallo pinto. They serve it with cinnamon toast made out of coconut bread. So tasty. We sat at a little plastic table in the sand right next to the Sea. The best!!! After eating we headed back to Derek's. Amazingly we have another lazy day scheduled for ourselves. The wind has not stopped blowing & Glenn & Carrie (Dave's Parents) told us visibility has been declining. So, we are loving the lazy days.

Per usual, our day consisted of a variety of places to read & nap. I prefer the laying on the sand with the waves just coming up to get my feet wet while reading. Perfection. It's funny to just sit around & read. I look up & find Geoff in a different hammock or in our room reading for a shade break. We are so fortunate to have this time to really truly just be. It feels really really good.

Today our snack selections weren't quite as good & we were really hungry by the time we ate dinner. We snacked on coco bread & PB & Quesitos but that doesn't really cut it for a whole days worth of food. Especially because dinner isn't served here until 8pm usually. But, when you are too lazy to walk into town, then you just make do with what you have.

While sitting on our deck & painting my toenails Lola & a little boy named Ben, from Wyoming, came over to see what I was doing. So, of course, I ended up painting Lola's toes & nails as well. The kids played on our deck until Ben's dad came over & herded them away. We are sort of like kid magnets sometimes. It's funny. We hid one of the puppies from the kids. They were tossing the pups around like they were stuffed animals & the little girl puppy was shaking & whining. Poor thing. So, I hid her in our room & she slept on a floor mat for about 4 hours. Poor little thing. The kids kept looking for her & searching around. I think she appreciated her hiding spot.

The rest of the afternoon we spent holed up in our cabana. The sun was so hot & we were both a little pink from over-exposure to the sun that past few days. So, we hid out in our cabana & read & just relaxed. Sooo lazy. But wonderful. We've read so many books since we arrived, especially with all these lazy days. We have a stack started of books we have read & another stack of books waiting to be read. I think we are both feeling super duper relaxed. Storing up relaxation for the next part of our quick moving travels.

You know you are spending all your free time with your husband when he turns to you & says "there has been a travesty of stinky butt matter," referring to his toot that he just let out. Nothing is sacred when you share every moment & very tiny rooms together. But, it is certainly entertaining. I laughed about that comment & had to save it for future reference.

Apparently the weather is changing. It is suddenly pouring rain outside. The wind picked up & was a bit chillier than normal & then whamo: sheets of rain. It smells good. Now we are for sure not leaving the confines of our cabana. I guess it's good we decided to eat dinner here tonight. Premonition of the rain perhaps. Otherwise we'd be trudging through the forest to town in the rain. Ick. We shared a rum & coke before dinner & discussed whether or not we'd make it into town this evening. Felipe is DJing again but I think we are opting to be lazy & stay out in the "burbs," our newest description of where we are staying.

Dinner here was delicious. They made stewed chicken with special secret Indian spices & spiral pasta with garlic & tomatoes & of course their homemade bread. They cook everything in a wood oven that sits off to the side of the kitchen. They have such a different existence than our day to day at home. I've watched Derek tend to the fire for a couple hours every afternoon. Ana said it's an art & it takes a watchful eye to have the perfect cooking fire. She said she doesn't have the skill, only Derek does. Dinner was just us & Derek & Ana & Marc. It was homey & nice & sooo tasty.

After dinner we resumed our positions in our cabana & continued to read. I've read so much lately that I find myself confusing some of the characters from one book to another. Kinda funny. It's still raining which is a soothing way to fall asleep. The sound of rain on a thatched roof is nice.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb