Little Corn Island Day 7


Advertisement
Published: April 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I woke up this morning to another beautiful, sunny day. It's warm & breezy & tropical & I love it. We are spending another day doing as much of nothing as we can do. Sometimes that is just the best way to spend your time, in our opinion anyway. Plus, we are both on some sort of reading binge. I have already read 2 books & I think Geoff is on his 3rd. Busy busy. The wind has picked up tonight & the seas are no longer calm. So we made a good decision to take another day off.

We shared a veggie omelet this morning. It wasn't as great as the cheesy one, but still good. During breakfast we talked with Ana about travel, life, the choices we all make, people & their influences on our thoughts & just philosphized about all kinds of things. Ana gave me a book to read while I'm here, "A New Earth," by E. Tolle. Lola & I played cards for a bit. She's addicted to Uno. Sometimes it's nice to just talk & listen to the way that other people think about the world around them. Always interesting.

Today was similar to yesterday because we read, laid in hammocks, laid on the beach, journaled, napped, read in bed, sat in the highback wood chairs on the beach. So relaxing. Sometimes I just like to sit & stare out at the Sea & watch the waves. I feel like I could lose a lot of time doing just that.

There was a lot of snacking that occured today. We ate coconut bread with PB & Quesitos & Snickers & cookies & chicken enchiladas. Snackaholics. We walked around to the north side of the island & snorkeled in front of Ensueno's. Sadly we saw absolutely nothing but a lot of sea grass. The wind was blowing pretty hard & it was quite a lot of work to swim out toward the reef. We gave it our best & headed to shore. We made a dinner date for Friday with Andrea who said he'd make us his favorite pasta dish. OK! Our last night here is Friday night. It seems too soon...

We walked along the lovely white sand beach back to Derek's & took a bucket shower. If you leave the salt water on your skin, the bugs are very very drawn to you & bite you like crazy. It's annoying. So a shower is a must.

Back at our little cabana Lola came to tell us that she had been waiting all day to play Uno with us & were we ready yet? So cute. We promised to play cards with her before dinner.

We spent the rest of the evening sitting in the wood chairs & staring at the ocean & sipping a freshly blended pina & banana juice that I added a little rum to (it just tastes so good!). Yum. The fresh juices are too perfect here. So sweet & tasty.

For dinner we have decided to walk on the beach to Casa Iguana for Kelly's famous dinner. (Kelly's been diving with us) But, we lollygagged & left after dark. There were lots of stars & it was kind of fun to walk along the beach under starlight. We figured it was about 2 miles to walk there but it took us almost 50 minutes, maybe it's more like 3 miles? We weren't walking slowly. Wow! Working for dinner! However, it was well worth it. We had baked Snapper that was soooo good. She had put a light orange glaze on it, she said she let it cook for just a couple minutes with the glaze. It was perfet. A little sweet with a tiny crunch. MMMM! We also ordered the beef entree. I think because the cows in this part of the world are so skinny & graze so much their meat ends up being stronger which makes it tougher when cooked. I'm used to fat, lazy American cows. It's different & a little bit of work to eat. She served it with delcious cous cous & cheesy veggies. I had rum & pineapple juice, of course. Even the canned pineapple juice here is good. Pulpy. We talked with Dave's parents & his mom was drunky drunk & super entertaining. She kept saying they had a liquid diet today! tee hee hee! All the DM's we've been diving with joined us & had dinner with us. With a group of divers at the table, that was all we talked about, Diving! Super duper fun. We heard so many diving stories. Always entertaining. Mariano had some of the best stories. My favorite was about a Trunkfish swimming along in front of him with a Remora underneath cleaning him. The Remora kept letting go, swimming up to his back fin & taking a little bite at him & then quickly swimming back to the Trunkfishs' underside & resuming cleaning. Mariano said every time the Remora did this the Trunkfish would stop in his tracks & turn around & try to figure out what was biting him. He said it happened a couple times & each time he just turned around & looked around all confused. Too funny. There were a lot of stories & we just sat & laughed & enjoyed it. It's such a fun community to be a part of & share with. We enjoy it a lot.
Eventually we had to head out. We have quite the walk ahead of us. We walked back on the beach under a million stars. It was beautiful. We laughed & talked & somehow these long walks don't seem all that long. Along the path on land we saw a violin crab finally. I guess Owen wasn't as silly as I thought. The crab is really really big. And his one claw is super big, almost the size of his shell. It was so funny. When we came upon him on the path I stamped my feet to try to get him to move but he just looked at us & opened his big claw & lifted it up to show it to us, like saying "watch out, I have a really big claw." So, we took a bunch of pictures of him since he was all posed up. Too funny.

Back to our cabana for another peaceful nights sleep.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0753s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb