I see woman on bended knee, cutting cane for her family


Advertisement
Published: May 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We stopped of in Jamaica today. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Rather bloody good because there was a huuuuge crew party last night with dodgy Engineer types from Indonesia cooking non descript meaqt for us. And, more importantly, there was beer. Lots of beer. beer beer beery beer.

So fortunately I had the next day off until the afternoon. After dragging myself out of bed at 11 ( a blessed lie in as far as i was concerned) I decied to check out the origonal island in the sun for the short couple of hour I had before the boat left.

We got ashore and after wh fought through the multitude of Rastas offering rides in their "taxis" we wandered along the caost. Ocha Rios is on the other side of Jamaica from the touristy bits - it takes about an hour to get to Kingston from the port. There is a very picturesque set of falls (not in the suidcide sort of way, more watery) which apparently we could walk to. So off we tofddled, still being harassed by locals who seemed intent on charging us for about everything (including the air we were breathing!) damned rastas!

After a wee while we came across a yank who recommended we stopped at a shack a little further on and see a lady called Viola who would show us another set of falls. This we did and sure enough we came across a little shack with what can only be described as the voodoo lady from Pirates of the Caribbean (but about 50 years older) sitting outside. Very qucikly we swapped our shoes for the "sepcial shoes" that let you walk in the water. Even more quickly cash was removed from our wallets, but what the hey, it was worth it. Our self styled "tourist guide" (I kid you not) had the pre requisite rasta dreads and a really cheerful demeanour and he took us through the woods by the shore until we came to the falls. wow!

They weren't the biggest falls I've seen, but the ranked along the most beautiful. streaming over the rock in rivulets, all fresh water, thundering into this little bay. It was quite something. After a fair few photos, we climbed up the waterfall and got to a second set. There were a fair few rastas around, all amazingly friendly (lol) greeting us with shouts of "one love" "Bob Marley" (apparently some local folk musician) and "Ganj?". Ooooooh it was tempting but as we have a drugs test tomorrow, probably not too wise!

We had just left the falls when the heavens opened. This was great for our guide as he could then usher us into the shack to sample some of the locally brewed budweiser imports. We chatted to Viola, politely declined weed for the umpteenth time then left after leaving a small (huh!) tip. It was great to be able to get off the boat for a change and, although we got completely soaked, it was bloody marvellous. There's nothing like being somewhere warm while its raining like that. Hopefully we'll be able to go back and see the grave of theis Bob Marley chap next time, but now I'm warm and safe back of the ship.

A few shots in the steakhouse and Sabatinis (the italian restaurant on board) and a wee stint in the gallery and It'll be a relatively gentle day.

Irie!

Advertisement



31st May 2007

(continue in a rasta voice)and i thought you was brains
Rastafariiiiiiiiii!, dood you tooootally greened me! cant believe you stepped on me dreamland (minus the violence). me spiritual dreads are curling at da thought man! hopin ya drank it t'all in fa me-i cant wait for de picshure show when ya back on home island.

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb