Dinner, Death, & Breakdancing Boys


Advertisement
Jamaica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Jamaica » Kingston
November 13th 2005
Published: November 15th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Three StoogesThree StoogesThree Stooges

Mo, Larry, & Troy breakdancing on the stage set up for the St. Pius Annual Brunch.
Nancy and I threw our first "party" since being in Jamaica on Friday night. Okay, so it was more of a dinner than a party, and it consisted of Nancy and I, Lesroy (a seminarian from the island of St. Kitt), Phillip (a novice from Oregon), and Damian (a music teacher from Jamaica). We didn't actually eat until well after 9:00pm because Lesroy, Damian, and Nancy were all coming from a veeeeeeeery long choir practice at St. Pius, so Phillip and I ended up spending quite a bit of time and exerting quite a bit of love into the making of the meal. Can't go wrong with spaghetti, salad, and cheesy garlic bread. Mmmmm...cheese. The meal was muy delicioso...and I'm not just saying that because I helped cook it. Well, okay, so maybe I am.

The evening was topped off by the singing of some good 'ol fashioned Jamaican reggae music and everyone laughing while Lesroy and Nancy "danced" the willybonks. It was slightly reminiscent of dancing groundhogs in February, but with shoes.

On a slightly (or rather, entirely) more somber note, we found out that our little St. Pius Church and White Wing community has experienced yet another
MoMoMo

Think your back hurts??
death. Sheldon Howell is the cantor for the St. Pius Junior Choir and several years ago he had two children with one of the women from White Wing. They were together for quite a while, but never married. Earlier this week, she was shot three times in the head across the street from St. Pius. No one seems to know why she was killed - drugs? angry boyfriend? - but evidence seems to say that someone is not shot three times in the head unintentionally...there was some kind of motive. The Pius community has taken the news particularly hard because the entire Howell family participates in the church activities: Sheldon is the choir's cantor, his brother Tommy and mother Paulette both sit on the church leadership committee, his brother Adrian is one of our students, not to mention the fact that Nancy and I play with all of their adorable kids every weekend. It's a tragedy that won't soon be forgotten around here.

We spent the entire day Saturday at Pius, as the big fundraising brunch is tomorrow (Sunday) and Nancy and I were, by default, on the preparation crew. We spent the morning running errands with Tommy and
Mo and LarryMo and LarryMo and Larry

Betcha Jackie Chan can't do this!
the afternoon was spent doing "supervisory tasks," which meant we walked around and talked to people, carried some stuffed animals, practiced our Patois, and took pictures. We were also privileged enough to witness some crazy Jamaican breakdacing. MAN, could those boys move!! And after the older boys were finished with their exhibition, all the smaller kids started trying to replicate their motions, which was amazing in and of itself - they're talented little buggers!! Sheldon Jr. is one of the little boys breakdancing in the picture at the bottom of this entry - he must get all his moves from his dad. If I wasn't so afraid to end up in the hands of the Jamaican healthcare system, I'd probably have tried some of the breakdancing moves myself. But I've seen Kingston Public Hospital - it's not a place I'd want to be admitted with a broken arm -- or skull -- as a result of trying to stand on one hand.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The StareThe Stare
The Stare

His foot isn't touching the ground!!!!!
Feeling Flexible?Feeling Flexible?
Feeling Flexible?

Seriously, is this kind of thing even human? These boys are amazing!
Mo Mo
Mo

Can your wrist hold up your weight? Mine can:).
LarryLarry
Larry

Move over Michael Flatley - the Irish step-dance has new competition in town.
Imposters?Imposters?
Imposters?

These boys tried their hand at breakdancing after the professionals left the stage. Do I see some up-and-coming freestyle talent??


1st January 2006

can you come...
can you come to laramie wyoming to the uw lab or prep or the reccenter because im doing my preasimtation on beakdancing but i dont know how too.

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb