Journey to Utila experiences


Advertisement
Honduras' flag
Central America Caribbean » Honduras » Northern » La Ceiba
January 30th 2010
Published: February 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Jungle River LodgeJungle River LodgeJungle River Lodge

Amazing place!
Hi all :o)
Second day was a long travelling day, left Miami and took 3 flights to get to La Ceiba Honduras via San Salvador, San Pedro Sula and finally La Ceiba (delayed 2 hours) was not to bad though, managed to finish reading Cel;estine Prophecies (Thanks Sam) can relate to the first two insights and already experiencing them! You need to read the book to understand. lol
From La Ceiba airport got a taxi to Jungle River Lodge, chose on internet, bit far from airport cost me 50 bucks, thought they said 15 til i got there, debated but patyed in end lol
Arrived there about 1130 at night, quite scary being driven in a taxi with driver speaking no english and driving down derelict roads in the middle of no where!
The Jungle lodge was amazing, right next to a river, they do white water rafting, zip slides and rock jumping, did not manage to do as had planned to move on.
Got to the bar andf met an aussie, two americans, Chech and a canadian with whom i shared a night of jungle juice and cards, all great people real travellers!
Still not sussed how to position the
Views from Jungle LodgeViews from Jungle LodgeViews from Jungle Lodge

This place is next bto National Park (Jungle!) right next to the river
photos! lol

We had to wait for transport back down to La Ceiba town, which meant i would miss Utiula morning ferry, so we wal;ked into the national park to see the Poco waterfall. We had to cross a suspension bridge then an hour hike up hill throuigh the jungle, some bits quite tricky! Then went under this amazing waterfall, no picture of me under it but i did! then we had to leg it back to get back in time for transport.

Ferry even though called Utila Princess II did not look like aprincess and ride bit choppy, one hour in duration.
I was met buy one of the volunteers at the ferry. 10 of us there, most are english!
A couple, a school teacher, ygirl whos fella away in RAF all here to enjoy the island.
Went to meeting monday morning where we agree jobs for the week, including feeding the animals (different lizards, snapping turtle, cat!, and a parrot that only likes men to feed her!

Any way that will do for now, even though have loads more to say even after one day! Including feeding termites to the lizards and fiddler crabs. Station is cool room to myself clean etc food and drink cheap on the island, not as cheap as mainland but ehy all fresh produce comes on ferry, other than the lemons and bananas we picked!

next blog will have more about the Iguanna Research cStation and the tasks we have to do, all good fun and learning and keeping me busy!
mark larf


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Bridge into ParkBridge into Park
Bridge into Park

bit wobble! and high!


2nd February 2010

Fantastic!
Hi Mark Good to see you have arrived, place looks fab. Looking forward to hearing more. Helen :-)
4th February 2010

wow
hi hun, looks like you are having an amazing time already....the national park looks so beautiful....hope you are settling into island life and not missing home too much....you is gonna come back looking like a leathery indian!!lol.......
4th February 2010

Barry misses you already....................!

Tot: 0.266s; Tpl: 0.039s; cc: 17; qc: 78; dbt: 0.1358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb