Antigua Guatemala - the beginning


Advertisement
Published: November 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in the dark on Wednesday after a 22-hr journey via Miami, and moved into the Quinta de las Flores, which is, as the name suggests, in a garden full of beautiful flowers, and overlooked by 3 volcanoes (one of which, Volcan Fuego, showed it was live by spouting smoke every now and then). Through a super Canadian estate agent and by complete serendipity we ended up renting a whole, new, 4-bedroom house close to the main square and moved in the following day.
Started acclimatising (70deg, sunny, dry) and had our first visit to the one-and-only supermercado. Quite an experience! We've decided to become vegetarian for a while. Getting a waterbottle refill home necessitated a tuk tuk ride over the cobbled streets, and Lewis Hamilton could learn a thing or two from our driver. Antigua is beautiful once one's eyes become accustomed to the curiously blank streets. No signs are allowed to project into the street, so you can be standing in the doorway somewhere and not know you've arrived. Also, the doors don't give much away, but when open you can see they open onto gorgeous courtyards and gardens, away from prying eyes.
We've spent ages missing places! The people are lovely - very friendly and more than ready to respond if you speak. Started Spanish lessons today in a very well-organised school - 2 tests already and homework as well. The food is much less spicy than Tex-Mex, and the vegetables are out of this world. A great introduction to C America, so until we blog again, hasta luego! Mary & Bob



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



29th November 2010

Wow, this sounds and looks amazing. Love the roof top view. Claire xxx
19th January 2011

magnifico!
Just got onto your blog and now am "homesick" for my favorite Antigua. Spent much time there, Atitlan, and many of the -nangos during the many years my son lived in Guatemala. What a great adventure!
30th January 2011

I am Dianne Bret Harte's; she shared the link with me. Lived in Guate for 9 years. You obviously planned your trip well. Panza Verde....oh what delicious food, and the Quinta de las Flores is a great spacious place.

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0214s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb