Settling into Antigua


Advertisement
Published: March 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our casaOur casaOur casa

This is from the patio on the top level where our room is.
We are now living with a local family, and going to Spanish language school every morning for 4 hours! Our new home is in a residential area of Antigua and we walk about 20 minutes to school each morning. Our host family provides three meals each day but Sunday, and conversation in Spanish at each meal. We don't eat with the family (there are three children aged 10, 12, and 15 and the two parents) for the most part, but someone usually sits with us to speak Spanish (and make us speak to them!).

We are living on the top floor, with a view of the three volcanoes thast circle the city. One is active, and last night while I was on the phone acroos the street wishing Luke a "Happy Birthday", we saw it begin to glow red! Today there was much steam or ash, so we hope to see more of a display tonight!

We have a private bathroom, so the week is costing us each $190 for room, board, and Spanish class! Our teachers are both good. The lessons are private and intense! Today Bill worked on numbers, time and months and I worked on conjugating
Our casa:  the viewOur casa:  the viewOur casa: the view

The peak to the left is Volcan Fuego, or fiery volcano. We saw a red glow the other night. This isnĀ“t the one we climbed.
irregular verbs. Both us did lots of conversation! It is easier for me because I speak French...but the French sometimes interferes...I still can't say "United States" correctly in spanish because the French pronunciation messes me up...

We are probably going to take three weeks of classes, with side trips around Guatemala on the weekends.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

StudyingStudying
Studying

In our room...so far we are the only ones staying here and have the whole top floor to ourselves!
Spanish classesSpanish classes
Spanish classes

Here is Lynn with Carmen, her teacher. All lessons are outside, in small cubicles or, like here, under the arch of the ruins of a convent!
Spanish classesSpanish classes
Spanish classes

And here is Bill waiting for his teacher, Martin.
Spanish classesSpanish classes
Spanish classes

The grounds of the school. There are avocado trees and banana trees...
Avocado tree with avocadosAvocado tree with avocados
Avocado tree with avocados

A very large one almost fell on my head today. We took it home and will eat it when it's ripe...


10th March 2006

new place?
I can not belive you are antigua i am going in a few weeks (scary) how long are going to be there love ya Ella P.S. KEEP IN TOUCH
21st March 2006

hi
just wanted to say I miss Ella
22nd March 2006

having fun?
just wanted to know whats up Ella
22nd March 2006

Hi
Everybody at school misses you cant wait for you to come back

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb