More from Antigua


Advertisement
Published: March 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

At homeAt homeAt home

Our host family...Maria, Joachim, Jose holding Blacky the dog, Andrea, and Mishael..
We finished our second week of Spanish classes yesterday...we have decided to take one more week of classes before moving on. We keep finding that we love where we are at each stop and hate to leave..and then find the next place even better!

Since the last blog, we have taken a weekend trip out of Antigua to Lago Atitlan and a day trip with the Spanish school to Monterico on the Pacific coast. We have met some wonderful people, visited an education project next to the Guatemala city dump and even learned some Spanish!

We are both loving the complexity that this kind of unscheduled travel has allowed us. We are able to combine study, sightseeing, involvement in social programs, and just hanging out in a new culture. We have been able to move between living nearly the kind of life of middle class people here, viewing real proverty and meeting those who are helping children out of it, and enjoying what would be, by USA standards, four star hotels and restuarants from time to time. We have travelled by local bus, tour van and first class bus. We have stayed in luxury and in minimum confort...it has
ProcessionsProcessionsProcessions

Cell phones are everywhere!
all added up to a greater feeling of connectiveness with the places we have visited..

Antigua has a mix of very wealthy Guatemalans and foreigners, middle class, and some poverty. The city is beautiful, with impressive ruins of Spanish Catholic origin around very corner. But it is noisy and dusty and polluted. It sits in a bowl high in the mountains, so the air settles on the city. There is wood smoke everywhere in Guatemala, and it has been added to here by a big forest fire on one of the volcanoes. Added to this smoke are diesel fumes from the buses and trucks and exhaust from the cars. Dust blows from unpaved streets at the edge of town.

Our weekend trip to Lago Atitlan was wonderful! We took a shuttle minbus from Antigua to Panahachel, and then a boat across the lake to Santiago Atitlan, where we spent the night. The next day we visited Maximon, an ancient deity who likes rum and cigars and grants wishes for a price. When we asked what was in the glass coffin next to the wooden carving that is Maximon, we were told it was Jesus...the people in the room
ProcessionsProcessionsProcessions

From the procession two weeks ago...each Sunday another church sponsors a procession. People walk for hours from their church to Antigua and back carrying these statues. Apparently, the platform on the last Sunday takes up a block.!
with him were a mix of reverence and open money making. Aftert hat we took a boat to the next two towns around the lake with a Canadian couple we met at the hotel in Santiago. We also met a pair of sisters from Australia, who we ran into in Antigua this week...

Our school field trip to the coast was both relaxing and interesting. We brought our teachers with us and had conversation in Spanish on the way. We passed throgh coffee grown in the shade of trees, then down into the lowlands and fields of sugarcane. We passed the sugar processing plants and then to the coast where trucks were lined up for a mile or so waiting for access to the port. Next, the route took us across a river on a ferry, through small towns and finally to the black volcanic sands of Monterico, where we swam in the warm surf!

On Thursday, we took a tour of a program started by a Wheelock grad six years ago, to help the children who worked in the Guatemala City dump. She began with an old church building, and has now, through donations, expanded to new
Lago Atitlan tripLago Atitlan tripLago Atitlan trip

Arriving at the lake
buildings that will house daycare, before school and after school support, health clinics, vocational training, and a sports field. This project, Safe Passage, is the best progam I have ever seen. The goal is to support the education, in public schools, of these children and move them out of poverty. Some of the first children are now in private high schools! As of last year, the city has forbidden children in the dump, but the day care is now important, since the children are locked into their homes while the parents go into the dump. We were asked not to photograph the neighborhood, and were only taken into the better part, but the poverty is very bad. A great place to donate funds, if you are inclined...

This weekend we will stay in town. Last night we went out to dinner with the women from Australia and tonight we will go to an English language play. Next week we hope to go on school trip to the village of Chichicastenango and another to a small village nearby to look at textiles.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Lago Atitlan tripLago Atitlan trip
Lago Atitlan trip

Walking towards our hotel in Santiago Atitlan
Lago Atitlan tripLago Atitlan trip
Lago Atitlan trip

Women washing clothes in the lake
Lago Atitlan tripLago Atitlan trip
Lago Atitlan trip

This is our bugalow at the Posada Santiago.a really lovely place owned by an American and expensive by local standards... where rooms go for $4 a night! this was bit more!
Lago Atitlan tripLago Atitlan trip
Lago Atitlan trip

Relaxing...there were real showers here...we have been used to on demand shower heads wired to metal pipes and dispersing a small quantity of hot water.
Lago Atitlan tripLago Atitlan trip
Lago Atitlan trip

Market day in San Pedro, Lago Atitlan. The women from each village have tradionally worn variations in clothing that indicate where they are from. Lots of blues ad purples here...
Lago Atitlan tripLago Atitlan trip
Lago Atitlan trip

Girls in tradition dress in San Pedro
Lago Atitlan tripLago Atitlan trip
Lago Atitlan trip

The path through the new age village of San Marcos....meditation centers, massage, vegetarian fare, and local culture exist together here.
AntiguaAntigua
Antigua

View from the cross on the hill north of the city. We are living to the left of this photo at the base of this hill.
AntiguaAntigua
Antigua

The cross...because of past robbery and assault problems here, the tourist police accompany groups to the overlook twice a day.
School Field Trip to MontericoSchool Field Trip to Monterico
School Field Trip to Monterico

Leaving Antigua..the two volcanoes to the west of the city. The forest fire is burning on the one to the right.
School Field Trip to MontericoSchool Field Trip to Monterico
School Field Trip to Monterico

The river ferry system
School Field Trip to MontericoSchool Field Trip to Monterico
School Field Trip to Monterico

Lynn and her teacher Carmen.who does not swim and was afraid of the surf...but came in with me anyway!
School Field Trip to MontericoSchool Field Trip to Monterico
School Field Trip to Monterico

Cashew fruit we picked up on the trip...our host made us a drink from these that smelled pretty bad, but tasted great. the cashew nut is at the top..but we did not eat it...
At homeAt home
At home

Breakfast... with Maria and four students from Bowdoin College who were volunteering at Safe Passage for a week.
Safe PassageSafe Passage
Safe Passage

This is in the main building, that was built with a donation about three years ago. It houses the after and before school programs and the health clinic which is funded by Bayer and has fulltime medical staff. These are the second grade kids. The man to the left is our guide and in charge of volunteers for the project. He himself is volunteering for two years and will return to Australia in the summer.
Safe PassageSafe Passage
Safe Passage

This is Miguel, who took the picture for me!
Safe PassageSafe Passage
Safe Passage

Kids at Safe Passage


18th March 2006

Nice Bungalow!
Looks like a blast! Love that bungalow! And the hammock, too! Nice to see everyone smiling! Tell Miguel that he is a great photographer!
18th March 2006

Oh My
Thank you for sharing this incredible journey with us Lynn. To immerse yourself in a culture like you two have is very unique to how people usually travel. I'm loving the photos you are sending as well. You guys give Americans a good name! Love ya both, amigos, Carolyn
20th March 2006

Carolyn has said it better than I could.
21st March 2006

Sounds awesome. I finally made it to the blog. I am a little slow. What an amazing adventure. thanks for a great description of the area and your activities. I can just close my eyes and woosh I am there. Ok not really but I imagine I am. Take care. Jen
28th March 2006

Great Job!!!!!
Just saying I am amazed and everyone here misses you. Have a great time and I will be with you in spirit. Ella

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb