Secret Quebrada Hike In Manuel Antonio barrio


Advertisement
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 9.38945, -84.1347

After our long hike the day before, we decided to do the hike we found last time we were in Manuel Antonio that is near the hostel. I'm not sure exactly how we found it but it does start near some other hotels and someone has done a lot of work. The trail for the most part is cleared and there are ropes in many places to keep you on track.

At the beginning of the trail, we were greeted by some serious yappers that finally went back inside their fence when they saw we were not worried by them.

What is so amazing to me is the fact that you almost immediately are in the thick jungle. I am pretty sure that some of this is old growth because it does run adjacent to the park as we found out. There is a lovely creek running through this walk and so there is some pretty active bird life.

We watched a wren working some of the lower vegetation making quite a bit of noise and signing its heart out. You cross the creek several times during the hike and the water is crystal clear.

At one point we began to hear the sound of a trogan calling and began to search for it. We finally found it and it was one we had not seen before, a female slaty-tailed trogon. This one has a red chest but dull face and throat.

We managed to capture some pictures of a hummingbird we had not seen before--a stripe throated male we believe. But seriously, how can you tell?

We got to the end of the trail at the creek and climbed out on some rocks and took a short break and had a snack and called Craig to see what he was going to do that day. We also saw what looks like an illegal trail into the park. Looked like a pretty steep and difficult trail from my point of view.

Took another part of the trail and Robert was leading the way when suddenly he stopped and said, "there is a snake." Got some pictures of it and do not think it was poisonous.

Decided to head on back and fix some lunch. On the way back stopped by the bridge before the entrance to the park and there was a guide there and he pointed out a jesus lizard to us. Called this,because it appears to walk on water.




Additional photos below
Photos: 64, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb