Playful Costa Rica - San José, Monday 2016 November 21


Advertisement
Published: December 27th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Gulf of NicaraguaGulf of NicaraguaGulf of Nicaragua

Environment curiously similar to Alberta in the summer
Our excruciating early start was 6:00 a.m. to drive to San José, because none of us cared to fly. This gave us an extra hour to sleep and lots of snacks in the vehicle. Several times all day we had to assure Ollie that a four-hour car journey was not onerous for Canadians; he and Estaban considered it a major undertaking.

I liked driving through the countryside because I got a better understanding of daily life. At first we retraced our route past the airport and the roadworks; Estaban fairly soon turned onto a new multilane highway, part of the Pan American Highway. I wasn’t dismayed by the highway route, because the views were good – lushly green, of course. In time the new road linked to the old highway - two lanes and lined with the houses and farms and shops that make for interest. Between the rolling hills, we crossed many irrigation canals, primarily for rice production. The fields were dry, not paddies. Teak plantations were also along the way; the variety grown in Costa Rica matures in about five years and is used for furniture and yacht decks because it can be waterproofed.

We turned off onto the
Rest stopRest stopRest stop

Breakfasts from all cuisines
Coastal Highway, catching sight of the sea at the Gulf of Nicaragua at the city of Abangares. At Caldera Port we could smell the sea, particularly because of the two tuna processing plants. We were travelling through the foothills of the Coastal Mountain Range. The road cuts showed laterite soil, rich in minerals. The heavily treed land was privately-owned protected rainforest; the trees and plants were much shorter than on the Caribbean side of the country. Some of these deciduous trees had widely spreading crowns.

Shortly after 9:00 Ollie asked Estaban to pull off into a specially design highway service facility. For the second time on this trip (also near Tortuguero), the restroom was beautifully and unusually designed in light wood. The restaurant itself had deeply carved animals crawling up the central posts and imaginatively carved wood supporting the tables. The cafeteria offered Costa Rican breakfast (beans and rice mixed together, ham or sausage and eggs, which Ollie and Estaban had. I had a toasted beef sandwich that was tasty with tomato and mustard – very filling! Estaban helped me by persuading the staff that I seriously wanted hot water and lime juice to drink.

By 10:00 Ollie learned
Blue Morpho Blue Morpho Blue Morpho

Doka Butterfly garden
(internet on phone) that there were rain clouds on the Poas Volcano and that visiting was a waste of time. We rearranged our schedule: visit to the coffee plantation for the 11:00 tour, have lunch there, and reassess.

With time to spare at the Doka Estate coffee plantation, we walked around their butterfly garden. A few species of butterflies were in the garden, and I was happy to photograph all of them, including the Blue Morpho, both its brown under side and its bright blue upper side. We wore jackets because the wind was blowing and the temperature had dropped, part of the storm over the volcano.

The coffee tour was led by a young woman, who introduced us to the one-year process to germinate a coffee bean and establish a plant that can be removed from greenhouse and planted in the field. We walked to a decorative row of coffee trees (looked like bushes) where she showed us the green, yellow and red (ripe) phases of the coffee cherry. Pickers fill a basket with 28 pounds of ripe cherries for $2.00; a top picker can earn $40 a day, a modest picker earns about $12 per day. The baskets are
Traditional and still effectiveTraditional and still effectiveTraditional and still effective

Beans are washed and sorted; the ripe ones sink to the bottom of the pool.
checked to be sure almost all the cherries are ripe. The seasonal labourers are mainly from Nicaragua, others are from Panama, Mexico, etc.

The processing plant uses the original way of discarding unsuitable cherries – they are dumped in a huge cement water tank, and the good ones are heavy enough to sink to the bottom; and, the cherries are simultaneously washed. Then the skin, sugary layer and two interior skins are removed, exposing the coffee beans. (The 28 pounds has thus been reduced to 7 pounds, further reduced to 6 pounds after roasting.) The beans are put through a grading machine that separates the largest (best) from the medium and smallest sizes. The largest are for export (85%!)(MISSING), the medium for local bean sales, and the smallest for local ground coffee. The best beans are sun dried, in a tedious process of spreading them out and raking them. The medium beans are half-dried in a large tumbler, and then sun dried. The low-quality beans are dried in the tumbler. Doka does not roast beans, except for their restaurant and gift store. Large international buyers prefer to roast their own blends.
">View the video from our tour.

Lunch was a little difficult because
Sun drying for export coffeeSun drying for export coffeeSun drying for export coffee

Outdoors on a debris-free cement pad
all the main courses, served cafeteria style, had dairy products. Ollie talked to them, and for me they grilled a steak, served cut in strips - excellent flavour and tenderness. Rice and veggies went with it. We could drink all the coffee we wanted - the espresso was great. After lunch, we discussed the volcano visit one more time. Other guides didn’t recommend it this day. The high winds, cold and rain constituted the edge of the forming of hurricane Otto in the Caribbean. Actually, we preferred to get to the hotel in San Jose to prepare for rising at 2:30 a.m. tomorrow to catch our flights!

Ollie agreed to reschedule our farewell dinner to the early hour of 5:30 p.m. He drove us through the heavy rush hour traffic to an incredibly luxurious restaurant in a castle-like building with a view of the city. In a thoroughly satisfied mood we relaxed into the wine and good food, served with great elegance in a quiet corner. The highlight came from our tributes to Ollie. Gisele had suggested this from her experience on another tour. Judi gave moving extemporaneous praise of his generosity of spirit. Lise read “What we know
Paos Volcano still shroudedPaos Volcano still shroudedPaos Volcano still shrouded

A last look from my hotel room in San José
about Ollie”, naming all the things he said and showed that he loved. Gisele sang a personal version of “Who’ll Stop the Rain?”. I read my multi-versed limerick recounting our trip. Great fun!

View map of our drive.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

The American Cordillera The American Cordillera
The American Cordillera

Canada's Rockies are related to these mountains
DawnDawn
Dawn

Worth the early departure!
Pan American HighwayPan American Highway
Pan American Highway

Traffic for the first time in over a week.
Best restroom ever!Best restroom ever!
Best restroom ever!

Service centre where we had breakfast
Private conserved forestPrivate conserved forest
Private conserved forest

Unusual cooperation amongst interested parties
West coastWest coast
West coast

The wind, she does blow!
Rain over Poas VolcanoRain over Poas Volcano
Rain over Poas Volcano

The best view of the Volcano on this day
Owl ButterflyOwl Butterfly
Owl Butterfly

Doka Butterfly garden
Monarch ButterflyMonarch Butterfly
Monarch Butterfly

Doka Butterfly garden
Crimson PatchCrimson Patch
Crimson Patch

Doka Butterfly garden
Thoas SwallowtailThoas Swallowtail
Thoas Swallowtail

Doka Butterfly garden
Very odd plant Very odd plant
Very odd plant

Doka Butterfly garden
Another very odd plant Another very odd plant
Another very odd plant

Doka Butterfly garden
Coffee beans on the bushCoffee beans on the bush
Coffee beans on the bush

Red ones are ripe, ready to be picked
Traditional coffee cartsTraditional coffee carts
Traditional coffee carts

Colourful heritage
Mechanical drier for non-export beansMechanical drier for non-export beans
Mechanical drier for non-export beans

Same technique as a clothes drier


31st December 2017

Very Odd and Very Smart
Wow. Amazing plants - one looks like a helium balloon, the other like a flamingo. And I really like your idea of a tribute to the guide - very meaningful, I'm sure.
2nd January 2018

Exotic plants indeed
Thanks, they could have been from a fantasy but were right in front of me. Kudos to Giselle, but we were all happy to extoll Ollie's personality and skills.
6th January 2018
Blue Morpho

Amazing butterflies
Great garden
10th January 2018
Blue Morpho

Amazing butterflies
Seeing exotic species close by was enchanting.
10th March 2018

Costa Rica
Reading your blog and seeing your pictures brings back great memories. Thanks Judith!

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb