Costa Rica


Advertisement
Published: December 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Thursday



Packed up this morning and waited for our taxi to go back to Quebrada Ganado, then on to Quepos. Hate to leave this lovely place, Cabanas Villas Mojolena. Such a beautiful setting and friendly hosts. Will miss the relaxing pool and long walks for birdwatching. As we were waiting for the taxi, I saw a little squirrel eating the coconuts in the tree by the edge of the pool.



Taxi to Quebrada Ganado was cheap, $5, but extravagant Bob gave him $6! The bus stop was across the street from a central park and school. A young man said there are sometimes macaws on the almond tree next to the stop. The macaw cracks a big seed, and the almonds are inside. He also said there are howler monkeys in Quepos, but they usually stay in the hills since they are afraid of people. Bob walked a ways into town and found a bakery for a snack for breakfast. Good! We found out that this is the start of Costa Rica's two month summer holiday, so that is why all the kids aren't in school.



We were about 45 minutes early for the bus, but the bus arrived 15 minutes early. Bus cost for us to Quepos from Quebrada was only $6. We drove through Jaco, which is a big, fairly modern, very tourist-driven city, lots of souvenier shops. Once in Quepos, we tried to get directions to our hotel, Hostel Pura Vida. Since we didn't know the city we decided to take a cab, only $2. It would have been within walking distance, but up a very big hill. We have a private room and bath a few floors up, with lots of jungle-like plants surrounding the building. Our room wasn't quite ready, so we stowed our luggage and hiked back into town. Stopped to get batidos (milk shakes) to cool off; very hot here during midday. The couple next to us was from the States, and have been retired here for three years. They gave us some pointers about the Manuel Antonio Refuge, where we will be going tomorrow. Bring no food and don't feed the animals! The racoons and monkeys can get nasty, and watch out for snakes! Animals have been known to steal and unzip lunchbags. Yikes!



Later in the afternoon we went back to town for dinner. Stopped at an excellent place, Soda Sanchez. Rice with seafood and squid, salad, and fries. Delicious, and huge portions.



Tomorrow we're off to Manuel Antonio to see the birds and animals.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb