Happy New Year


Advertisement
Published: December 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Whacking the pinataWhacking the pinataWhacking the pinata

Last week we attended a birthday party at a neighbors house.
In Costa Rica we're preparing to blast in the New Year. The country doesn't ring in the coming year they use polvora, fireworks to explode into the next year. Fireworks are legal, even for purchase by children. I expect to hear the Red Cross ambulances along with the explosions tonight.

As in the states, our plan is to be safely in our home and off the streets before night fall. No parties or guests for us this year, that’s the plan. As our circle of friends has begun to grow our time alone has dwindled, especially thru this holiday season. We’re looking forward to being alone and doing nothing for a couple of days even though we know it’s not likely to happen.

I’m thankful for the friends we’ve made this year but as I’ve said before our lives here are very different from in the states. It’s a good thing, we’ve come out of our shells but it’s still strange to us and takes some adjustment. We are no longer anonymous. Bill teases me because Callista and I went to a local artisans market recently and spent an hour and half talking to people. We didn’t buy a thing but we left having made several new friends.

We learned from a good friend that the locals are drawn to us because we talk to them. We engage in conversations with them even with our limited Spanish. Just yesterday we pulled over on the side of the road waiting for oncoming cars to pass before making a u-turn when a local pulled over, jumped out of his car with his daughter and came over to wish us a Happy New Year. How cool is that?

To our families, friends and readers we wish you a very HAPPY NEW YEAR and hope that you recognize all the blessings that are brought to you in the coming year.

PURA VIDA!

Jen, Bill, Callista and Bear (who has no idea what’s coming tonight, I wonder if I can pick up some doggie tranquilizers before nightfall)



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 79; dbt: 0.1532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb