Welcome to La Fortuna


Advertisement
Published: April 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Steaming VolcanoSteaming VolcanoSteaming Volcano

Two cones of the Arenal volcano visible. Always a bit of steam coming from each vent.
Off to La Fortuna to brave fate that the volcano will not blow it’s top while we are there. I suppose living here is like living in L.A. or Vancouver. People just go through their lives knowing that they risk certain death waiting for “The Big One”, which will dump them into the Pacific Ocean.

The road was much better than I had been led to believe. Paved all the way and only a 50 km section that wound its way up and down, round and round the mountain range. Not being sure of the local bus service or road conditions, we hired a tourist van for transport. Well satisfied with this so we will continue with this option for the rest of the trip.

We arrived at our destination about noon and were warmly greeted at our lodging. www.erupcionesinn.com/ We began to wonder how we will get about as we are in the middle of nowhere, 11 km from town. We have been assured that there is frequent shuttle service back and forth.

Once settled in, we headed off to the closest restaurant. Decided on a big meal just in case getting to town for supper proved difficult.
Arenal Volcano from our RoomArenal Volcano from our RoomArenal Volcano from our Room

Just as much fun as watching a campfire. The clouds move in and out and around the mountain.
It cost way more than we expected and was not as good as late night’s supper at half the price. Crossed that steakhouse off our list!

By the time we got back, the volcano was clouded over so we sat down to plan the rest of the week’s adventures. Sara was very helpful and did all the reservations for us. A short rain shower and then the top of the volcano cleared.

We headed into town to stock up on essentials like water, juices, tea and rum. Saturday night was quiet. There are few bars and they were filled mostly with tourists. I had noticed the absence of grand Catholic churches after leaving the capital. I found it a bit strange given the Spanish background of the country. Apparently, we are in a bible belt. That explains a lot but I have yet to see a cemetery of either sect. One thing I enjoy doing in any country, including Canada, is to see how different places and times celebrate death.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Good RestaurantGood Restaurant
Good Restaurant

Though our first meal was expensive, we learned our lesson and did return several times to this spot. It was the most convenient and closest to our cabin. Both the beef and seafood is good and service was quick, mostly cuz we were frequently the only customers.
El Novillo Steak HouseEl Novillo Steak House
El Novillo Steak House

Surrounded by greenery at the back of the restaurant. During the rainy season, there is a small stream that flows through the central garden.


Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb