Cano Negre


Advertisement
Published: April 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

River CruiseRiver CruiseRiver Cruise

Water brown from the tannins in the leaves that fall into the water. Close to Nicaragua.
Early start today for a river nature cruise. The kind people at Eruptions prepared an early breakfast and we were on the bus at 7am. We were the first to embark so we got to see some of the other tourist lodgings, including high end spas and a five star backpackers resort (not quite as nice as our place).

The river we were to explore is about 15 km. from Nicaragua, an hour drive from Fortuna. It is slow moving and the banks are held together by large drooping trees. We saw different kinds of monkeys, caimans and about 10 different kinds of birds. Couldn’t get pics of them all as the zoom on my camera is not powerful enough.

After about 2 hours, we headed back to our starting point for a buffet lunch. A good feed of a vinegar plantain salad, rice, black beans, chicken in sauce, potatoes with onions and an excellent rice pudding. Making the pudding with condensed milk and cloves certainly is an improvement over most puddings I have eaten.

We decided to return to our inn rather than wander around the town, again. We have seen all that is to be seen
IguanaIguanaIguana

Bigger than a cat.
and didn’t want to hang around and wait for a ride at 8:30pm. We had a light supper at the steakhouse up the road.

Claudette has retired for the day and I am catching up on my journal. Must rest up for a big day of white water rafting tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Who Me?Who Me?
Who Me?

Did I hear a banana drop?
GrandpaGrandpa
Grandpa

Bigger and bigger iguanas kept coming out of the bushes. This one was about the size of a dachshund!
CamenCamen
Camen

Their colour makes it easy for them to blend into the water. Not swimming in this river, thank you.
SymbiosisSymbiosis
Symbiosis

Moss, lichen and plants all latch on to trees trying to get some sunlight. It is all about getting to the top.
Camen 2Camen 2
Camen 2

Waiting for lunch to swim by.
Snake BirdSnake Bird
Snake Bird

So named because when it swims, the body remains below the surface and the neck bobs forward like a snake.
EgretEgret
Egret

Could be mistaken for a heron. Hunts the same way.
CaneCane
Cane

Saw these canes at the rest stop. Much more comfortable grip than the simple semi-circular grip we most often see.
Buffet LunchBuffet Lunch
Buffet Lunch

I don't usually take pictures of my plate but must admit it is well laid out. Cabbage salad, chicken stew, potatoes and onions, rice and black beans, plantains.
Nice TreeNice Tree
Nice Tree

From the restaurant at our wharf.
SpiderSpider
Spider

About the size of the palm of my hand. Almost walked right into it. Prevented me from backing up to get all the branches in the previous photo.
Red SoilRed Soil
Red Soil

Not quite as red as PEI.
VinesVines
Vines

All flora strives to reach to forest canopy. Once at the top, it will bloom.


Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0843s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb