Happy New Year's Eve from Grand Cayman


Advertisement
Published: January 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

12/31/08 - Another Beautiful day in Grand Cayman - Happy New Year’s Eve.

Pretty much the typical “eat, go to the pool, eat, go to the beach, eat, go to the hammock” day today (one of those that doesn’t involve spending much money at all). While the young’uns were at the pool, I wandered around and took some more resort photos and video, found a couple of starfish out by the dock. DGS played “football” with another boy out on the rough sand for quite awhile. We tried to work up to snorkeling out toward the dock, but decided against it.

Had lunch and packed up and headed out toward West Bay for a couple of stops, and then to Cemetery Beach. Went by the rum and rum-tasting place for samples; not quite as busy today (we were a little later in the day), some tour buses were loading up so we went in. Had some samples and bought a couple of meat patties and chips for a snack. DD came running in unglued because our car had totally been blocked in by a jeep tour group - but by the time we finished our patties and some more
Rum cake and rum sample areaRum cake and rum sample areaRum cake and rum sample area

at the rum shop in West Bay
samples, they were ready to leave again. Their tour guide pretty much took over the shop pouring rum and hurrying his folks along - so it ended up being amusing rather than annoying. Stopped at a conch shell roadside vendor then headed back to Cemetery Beach.

It was a little busier again, but just fine, and the weather is much improved today. I spotted two rays just after I got into snorkeling mode. The waterproof bag I bought yesterday ended up not working very well with my camera however (which wasn’t a great surprise); did get a few keepers, but lots of crummy shots). So after we spent our usual hour and a half or so on the beach (it seems a lot longer) we went to Cathy Church’s to rent a camera to use tomorrow for the Stingray sandbar boat trip in the morning. The shop is closed tomorrow, so we get to keep the camera all day and use it until the battery runs out, or the card fills up. We have to let them reopen it and put the photos onto a CD - so it will be a mystery what we get for photos on it, until Friday morning.

We’re not staying up for fireworks or noise since we have to get up early for the stingray trip. Had shrimp salad for dinner (brought frozen shrimp along from home). Did have a little hammock time this evening, but I did some reading on the balcony, DGS watched a DVD, and DD puttered on her ‘puter. Picked up a “New Resident” guide at the bank Monday, which is very interesting, informative reading about the Cayman Islands.

Happy New Year!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb