Bye Bye Brac


Advertisement
Published: April 8th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Today is our last day on Brac. Our young Italian neighbors have gone diving so we get to continue our usual routine. So off we went to the beach side gazebo in skivvies and pjs. The winds have diminished but there's still a chop on our side of the island. Our breakfast was whatever was left in the fridge...so thankful we had coffee!!! We walked the beach looking for bundles of money or contraband....anything of value that may have fallen out of a Jamican drug runners boat in yesterday's Nor'easter....wishful thinking but looking for a way to avoid going home to the rat race and facing the eldercare issues waiting for us. The lady from the car rental agency called...wondering what time she can come by to take the credit card info....I wanted to say 5pm....our flight leaves at 4:05 pm...but didn't. So the fender bender cost us $1500 US...maybe next time I'll chose the international car rental insurance available through Expedia for $11/day if you make the rental reservation through them.

Some thoughts on our stay on Cayman Brac....Cayman is pronounced "Cay" + "Man"...like "Hey man"....almost as if its two words instead of one....definitely not "Caymin" like us Americans tend to say it. The island locals and tourists we've met have all been nice. When they are talking to each other, we can't understand what they're saying, eventhough they're speaking English. The tradition of fishing to make a living continues although not via cat boats and hand lines. Most houses have lots of tropical plants in their yards but no fruit trees or veggie gardens. They also have stone walls made from mostly from chunks of coral. We've seen guys harvesting tall grass by hand with machetes...maybe for the cattle?

Our flight to Grand Cayman was uneventful. Jerry picked us up at the airport and we had dinner at Macabucas in West Bay. It's a seaside tiki bar with great food. Had conch ceviche, fritters and fried conch, beer and pain killers...all very tasty. The guys had burgers...Jerry said the best he's had on the island....I had fish tacos...good too. Dessert was homemade ice cream sandwiches...all while sitting seaside with a great cooling breeze and watching a beautiful sunset. We are clearly on island time as the hospital didn't get Fred's written offer completed today....so we're stress free for now. I guess they'll email it to him some
Macabuca's tiki barMacabuca's tiki barMacabuca's tiki bar

I could easily make this my neighborhood bar!!!
day soon....we hope. In the meantime, we're going to look at some houses for sale this weekend after we get back to the US. Our flight leaves Georgetown, Grand Cayman tomorrow early afternoon. We go through customs in Charlotte, NC, then on to Burlington, VT which sounds like we'll be freezing our butts off when we land around 11 pm. Not so perfect ending to a great vacation.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb