Cayman Nor'easter


Advertisement
Published: April 7th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Windy Day at the cottage beachWindy Day at the cottage beachWindy Day at the cottage beach

It's the caribbean nor'easter
I woke up at 3:30 am this morning, came downstairs to shut windows...thought I heard thunder. Wind was blowing like crazy!!!! When we got up, we could see white caps in the water off the beach...WOW!!! Seas were predicted to be 4-6', winds 15-20 knots, small craft warnings too! I couldn't believe the size of the waves crashing onshore...took lots of photos and videos...couldn't wait to see how it was at the swimming hole and south side. If it was big waves on the normally calm south side then it was the perfect day to check out the blow holes at the eastern end of the island. We finished up the bacon and coconut bread...will miss that...looks like we'll have enough coffee for our last day tomorrow. I did a load of laundry, had to hang it out in stages as the clothesline wasn't nearly long enough to hold it all.

We headed to the swimming spot and we weren't disappointed...waves were crazy. The water wasn't as clear as usual but the waves had stirred stuff up, and in we went with our noodles. I left my camera on land...too rough and I didn't want to risk losing it. We floated and bobbed in the waves just enjoying the place we once again had all to ourselves. As we were leaving, our young Italian neighbors pulled in...guess they could read the map we gave them to get here. Fred gave them our noodles to use. We headed to the south shore and I was glad to see it too had waves crashing ashore.

We drove all the way to the east end where the road ends, got out and walked around. We found piles of flip flops with rocks painted with "sole" signs....wonder who did all this? Fred stayed with the car and I walked the quarter mile along the rocky shore to get to the blow holes. You get a good view of the bluff the run down the center of the island. Lots of flotsam and jetsam on the beach, mostly plastic bottle of different colors...almost looking like jewels in the sand and sun. The waves here were even bigger than on the north side! I found the blow holes and just stayed in the area for a while, taking in the incredible beauty of the waves!

We drove back to the east end, stopping at the bubble house so Fred could walk around the house and check it out. We stopped at the Coral Isle Club, had the bar to ourselves with the exception of a pair of Brown Boobys. It was the same bar tender we had at our last visit except today was country music day on her Pandora app...maybe in honor of the passing of Merle Haggard. Another tourist couple showed up, turned out they were from Montana, had been coming to Brac for 5 years and had purchased a fixer upper house on the west end. We chatted for a while, Fred told his moldy old corny jokes, so what else is new. It was 3:30 pm when we left and were hoping Barry's Golden Jerk would be ready...nope...in an hour...so we went for another swim.

Barry had jerk ready for us at 4:30...gave us extra secret sauce too! Got to the cottage only to have the lady from the car rental agency follow us in the driveway...ruh roh!!! She had the two estimates...they both came in at $750 CI...Fred was sooo happy...he was sure they were going to be at least $1500. Guess we have to pay them off tomorrow before we leave.

I somehow managed to spill all the extra secret sauce on my white clothes...just great...have to do another load of laundry now. We were in the middle of making dinner, had the front door open and the Italians show up at the door....oblivious to the fact we're busy. They complained to the landlord about the noisy refrigerator keeping them up last night and wanted to check out our cottage. Fortuntely Fred had made the bed and tidied up so he took them upstairs. The downstairs was a mess with laundry waiting to be done, clean laundry to be folded but I didn't care...they barged in so whatever!!!

They finally left and we got to enjoy our jerk pork and beers. Sat out on the beach to enjoy our last sunset and the great breeze...it's definitely died down since this morning...just perfect.

I've uploaded lots of photos from the day and videos will be on Fred's FB page...be sure to check them out...it's all about the waves!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

It's the caribbean nor'easterIt's the caribbean nor'easter
It's the caribbean nor'easter

take the kayak out????? Hell no!!!!
Path to one of the gazebosPath to one of the gazebos
Path to one of the gazebos

Conch shells are a common element in Caribbean landscaping


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb