Last Day On The Island


Advertisement
Published: June 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Our Intrepid tour officially ended this morning. Daniel had already left early this morning as he had to be in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico to begin another tour. Ken, Lindy, Oren, Manfred, and Lalanti were catching the 8:30 ferry back to Belize City as they all had flights to go back home. Nikki hung out with us until about 11 when she caught a ferry back to Belize City. That left me, Melanie, Troy, and the 2 Austrialian girls as the only ones remaining. Most of the group met up in the lobby at 8:30 to say our final goodbyes to those leaving back to Belize City. It was sad to say bye to everyone but this group didn't really forge a huge bond like other groups I've been with, most likely due to the short duration of this trip. Afterwards, Troy, Melanie, Nikki, and I just walked around the island and back to the Split. It was a warm sunny day today and quite a few people were already at The Split soaking in some rays. We stopped in a few shops where Troy, Nikki, and I all decided to buy matching "You Better Belize It" tank tops. Eventually, we all said our goodbyes to Nikki as she also headed back to Belize City. With not much else to do and with Troy not feelilng too well, we spent the next few hours just lounging around at the hotel. Sometime in the afternoon, we met up with the Australian girls who were spending an additional 5 days here on Caye Caulker. After having a late lunch, we made our way back to The Split to lay out and eventually have a swim. Not feeling too well, Troy decided to just go back to the hotel and kick back and do nothing. The Lazy Lizard at The Split was a happening place today as sunny skies seem to bring everyone out. There was a nice mix of tourists and locals but of course the vast majority of people here were tourists. We layed out on the sand where the girls sunbathed while I enjoyed people watching while downing a few Belikins. The Aussie girls eventually went for a dip in the sea and I joined them a few moments later. The water was nice and refreshing despite the slightly strong current. I wanted to swim over to the other side of Caye Caulker but after seeing a few other swimmers struggle to get there, I chose not to attempt it. On our way back to the hotel, we ran into Caye Caulker's famous cake lady. Melanie had been looking for her since we first saw her on our first night here. The Cake Lady makes all these homemade cakes and pushes them around the island on a cart. All 3 girls bought a few slices and all concluded that it was money well spent. The entire time here in Caye Caulker, I wanted to watch the sunset over at the Split. Instead, I decided to walk over to a dock on the western side of the island. At first, it was just myself and 2 other girls watching the sunset over the horizon. Within 15 minutes, we were joined by about 20 more people. It was a nice quiet and peaceful moment for me to just sit here and watch the sunset on my last evening in Caye Caulker. Afterwards, I met back up with Troy and Melanie and we decided to venture over to a nearby sports bar to watch the New Orleans Saints play the Seattle Seahawks in the NFL playoffs. Troy and Melanie were rooting for the Saints while most everyone in the bar were Seahawks fans. With the Eagles eliminated early in the playoffs, I was indifferent to either team. For dinner, we headed over to a place called Lucille's near our hotel. Melanie finally had an opporunity to order a lobster. I was going to follow suit, but decided to have some grilled fish instead. Our last dinner together was very subdued as it was a bit apparent that this trip had taken a toll on Melanie and Troy. Melanie was dealing with her pregnancy and Troy seemed to have constant stomach issues the entire time. I think they were just ready to go home. We didn't do anything exciting for our final night as all 3 of us were just content with hanging out in the room watching more football games and making fun of the people on the tour that annoyed us. The next morning, we would catch the ferry over to Belize City, say goodbye to Belize, and catch our flights back home to the US. I had a great time in Belize but 7 days here was probably more than enough. I don't have a deep desire to return but I do hope to one day return to Guatemala!


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb