Taking it easy in Belizey!!


Advertisement
Published: May 19th 2005
Edit Blog Post

First class bus took us as far as Chetumal on the Mexican/Belize border. Due to a 3 hour wait for the connecting bus to Belize City we transferred to the 2nd Class bus station. Were persuaded to get on an old US school bus (also known by Gringos as chicken buses!!)that would take us as far as Orange Walk for the princely sum of $2 for a 2 hour bus journey!!This price included free Bob Marley and Venga Boys (played at full volume) all the way through northern Belize!! Air conditioning consisted of open windows, refreshments - mango on a stick bought from a street vendor!! Glad we hadnt opted to stay in Orange Walk (as this was going local big time and we werent quite ready for that experience!!). The subsequent chicken bus meant getting a bit cosier with the locals (space issue). We were now experiencing budget travel!!

Arrived and left Belize City within half an hour. Took the water taxi to Caye Caulker. Not the largest island we have ever seen- 4 miles long (including a split created by Hurricane Hattie!!) and 650 yards wide. Budget beachfront accommodation (pretty much everything has a sea view!!). Met a Canadian guy that evening in a local sports bar who managed to talk me into diving the following day. Frenchies diving school seemed to have high standards which was reassuring as I was about to do my first boat dive. Survived the boat dive only to be faced with a shark (ok a nursing shark!!), a giant turtle and several sting rays!! Hard day at the office.

Caye Caulker is also known locally as West Jamaica due to the large rastaffarian population, one of whom befriended us!! The Lyrical King took us to his favourite hangouts on the island - the bird sanctuary we sat on the edge of a pier watching the sunset whilst he smoked a local delicacy and sang to us!! He then took great delight in collecting a couple of coconuts and cracking them open for us to enjoy!! Photo evidence to follow!!

The following day our inactivity ensured that our heart rates barely rose into double figures!! I was the most energetic and opted to attempt to swim the "split". After one failed effort due to the strong current, I successfully negotiated it with one of the Canadian guys. We returned home after dinner to find that Belizean cockroaches were "supersized" Mexican ones!! Sara fought a brave battle and caught and ejected our visitor (only to be chased back into the room by the cheeky critter!!).

Had to make our move the following day or we would still be taking it easy in Belizey!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0674s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb