Buses, Bikes and Bugs


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Tulum
May 6th 2005
Published: May 6th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Temporary addition to EDAFTemporary addition to EDAFTemporary addition to EDAF

Our unexpected overnight guest - it took 3 flushes to get rid of him...
Having survived the overnight bus journey with a bit of sleep we arrived in Tulum VERY early in the morning. The local hostel didn't any vacancies, but sent us in the direction of a nearby hotel. It may have been a former prison....but at least we had our own bathroom, even if there wasn't a toilet seat and we did have an unexpected overnight guest.

During an unexpected tropical storm, we were forced to take shelter in a local bar, where Liverpool were playing Chelsea in the Champions League semi final. After a couple of beers we got chatting with an english couple (who had come in to see the game - although after several tequilias - I don't think that Claire could see anything!) who recommended hiring bikes and going to the beach - how right they were!!! For the majority of the day we had a huge stretch of white sand to ourselves. As we hadn't spent very much money that day, we treated ourselves to a fantastic meal (also recommended by Claire and Andy) at a Thai restaurant overlooking the ocean.

Cycled to the Mayan ruins the next day, which also look out over the water and then spent another couple of hours soaking up the sun on another beautiful stretch of beach, but sadly not so deserted. Another spectular thunder and lightning storm finished the day,

Went to the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Ecological reserve today. In Mayan it means 'where the sky is born', and they were right. We were guided through tropical rain forest (heavily dosed in deet - apparently the horse flies get you here), saw more ancient Mayan ruins and climbed a 18m observation tower, to above the jungle roof. We were then taken by boat through two lagoons connected by a man made canal, which was created by the Mayans as a trade route.

We thought that they were joking when they said we had to put our life jackets on upside down - ie our legs through the arm holes - we looked like we were wearing big orange nappies,,, (not quite Baywatch!!). But this proved to be the best way to float down the canal systems. After what is possibly the most relaxing experience you can ever have - the water is fresh, clear and warm and the gentle current does the hard work for you - perfect - we were back across the lagoons by boat and back into the bus to be taken to the last part of our day. A cenote - a big hole in the ground filled with fresh water from underground streams. It made a perfect natural swimming and diving pool.

If you are ever in this area - do this tour.




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Local wildlifeLocal wildlife
Local wildlife

Iguanas also like toparty on the beach
....gone.....gone.
....gone.

Swimming at the Cenote
deserted white sandy beachdeserted white sandy beach
deserted white sandy beach

...ah the Caribbean.....


Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.035s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1018s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb