Banana bread and Mayan Ruins


Advertisement
Published: May 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Had an eventful border crossing partly due to our lack of local money to exit Belize and partly to the inconsistenices of Guatemalan border officials!! We were joined on the bus by a local who persuaded us that his hotel was "very good price"and we should all stay there and ... the whole bus did!! Within minutes our arrival we were accosted by a guy from Essex(Steve) who hadnt spoken English or seen a Gringo for 3 weeks!! We couldnt shut him up or turn down his dinner invitation!! Several beers and much chat later - (including several references to a large, heavy loaf of banana bread that had been purchased locally that day) it was made clear to us that they were closing the restaurant and we had to leave. Steve had arranged to meet up with a friend in Flores. As he had paid for his room and Tikal Tour up front Steve was quite concerned at his mates failure to show up !! The evenings antics ended four hours before we were to catch the tour bus to Tikal. Still no sign of Caz....

Departure was slightly delayed due to a missing Englishman!! Steves rude awakening ensured
Gill and JoshGill and JoshGill and Josh

Swinging on the jungle vines with the tour guide!!
that he still made the tour. Got to the park just after dawn and opted to take a guided tour which proved to be worthwhile as the area is so vast. Were treated to local wildlife including howler and spider monkeys (swinging through the jungles vines), tarantulas, toucans as well as some scarey armed Guatemalan guards as we made our way through the ruins. The climb up Temple 4 afforded us fantastic views of the other temples rising out of the roof of the jungle - amazing (this was used as the Rebel Base in Return of the Jedi - so Sara tells me!!). After several hard temple ascents we were glad to share some of the infamous banana bread along with our peanut butter sandwiches!! During lunch, Caz emerged from the jungle! After a hard days exploring the ruins we were all somewhat quieter over dinner later that evening.

Heading out of Flores meant a local taxi journey to get the overnight bus. Despite the shattered windscreen, dodgy suspension, flat tyre and questionnable driving we caught the rather less luxurious "firstclass"Guatemalan Bus to Antigua.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0621s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb