Another day in Paradise !!!


Advertisement
Published: June 19th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Well what a day !
We had been told last night that there was a Tropical Storm Warning for Barbados which meant a tropical cyclone is possible within a 36 hours period.Our group were scheduled to spend the day on a catamaran but with large sea swells, extensive rainfall and flash flooding expected along with a high surf advisory and small craft restriction it was pretty obvious that we would not be snorkling in the turquoise seas with the turtles today.We did still gather in the lobby only to hear the expected news that the catamaran company had cancelled the trip. The lobby was filling up with groups of ladies and a few men who we knew were flower arrangers by their warm smiles and happy faces.Several recognised me from Flower Arrangers & Friends of NAFAS Facebook pages and as I wasn't wearing either my red badge/red corsage or floral scarf it prompted me to think maybe I spend too much time on Facebook, but both are such great pages and it's our love of flowers that bring us together from around the world. Some of the people I have met have given a small gift which is such a lovely gesture, sadly all I could give as a gift from the UK was rain! The sun was shining all seemed calm so along with my new flower arranging friend from Canada we took a taxi ride to the Lloyd Erskine conference centre for the registration. We received our exhibitors pass, a bag full of goodies and big smiles all round from the ladies on the desk. Some of the stageing areas were in situ others were being set up but I won't post any photos I can only imagine how colourful & different the areas will be in a few days. We sat and chatted for a while, had a few more photo opportunities and then back to the hotel. All still seemed calm although clouds were forming, I found David who had been relaxing around the pool and we went inside for a snack but within minutes the wind came so fierce that sun beds and parasols were being blown into the swimming pool, people were scurrying to get inside, some were caught in the torrential downpour and had to ride it out. It was quite scary for us even inside so must have been even scarier for those caught outside. It lasted for a good 30 minutes by which time people were emerging drenched from the downpour, some of our group were full of smiles once they were undercover but said it was quite scary when the sunbeds were flying about. Eventually the rain eased but by now the pool area was in complete disarray & most guests retreated to their rooms to dry off.That meant it gave me the opportunity to send this blog. I'm sorry if you were expecting photographs of turquoise seas, colourful fish & sunshine today but we are in the Caribbean and it is the rainy season and of course all these lush plants don't get where they are today without a drop of rain.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0194s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb