Island Tour - Part 2


Advertisement
Published: June 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Continuing our journey around the island we came to the highlight of the day Huntes Garden ! In the Parish of St. Joseph.
It took the owner & creator, Anthony Hunte 2 years to create this wonderful garden which even today is still having additions made.The gardens used to form part of a sugar plantation; Anthony purchased 10 acres of the plantation in 1990 and the gardens are around 2 acres & built in a sink home.As we stepped from our vehicle and walked through the rustic gates we knew we were in for a treat. David & I had visited the gardens some 10 years and in that time the plants had certainly put on a growth spurt.
We were greeted by Anthony, so full of life and wanting to share his garden with us, we were handed a very informative piece of paper with over 80 plant banes that we would be seeing throughout the garden.As we set off down the winding steps we knew were in the tropics. We passed a beautiful pink pineapple plant and above our heads an enormous banana plant created a wonderful canopy.So much to see, all we could hear were oooh's & ahhh's.We continued to meander down to the bottom where the sight of magnificent suspended helicona was mind blowing.Anthony was on hand to tell about the various plants but in addition a photographic display chart showed a number by the side - we were then able to locate the names of any plant we were unfamiliar with on the oust given to us on arrival.I won't say anymore but let the photographs do the talking.Sadly the time came for us to leave but not before a glass of rum punch or homemade lemonade sitting on the verandah with classical music wafting through the trees, the birds singing, truly magical.We didn't want to leave but lunch had been organised for us at Sunbury Plantation House and we were already running behind schedule.Many in our group are planning to return to absorb more of their experience today.Sunbury Plantation House was built around 1660 by Matthew Chapman, an Irish/English planter, one of the first settlers on the island. He was related to the Earl of Carlisle and through this association, was granted lands in Barbados. Sunbury Plantation House is over 300 years old, steeped in history, featuring mahogany antiques, old prints and a unique collection of horse-drawn carriages, but today we were visiting just to enjoy lunch in The Courtyard Restaurant. So guessing some of the group might revisit.By now it was after 2pm and we were all ready for something to eat - homemade chicken soup, followed by a meat, fish or pasta dish, ice cream & cake to finish, no we couldn't nap back on the bus it was time to visit our last place of interest Gun Hill Garrison point. The signal station itself was originally built in 1818 as part of a chain of signal stations on the island. Only two of these stations still exist. Grenade Hall and Cotton Tower both were constructed as signal stations and built to warn the approach of enemy ships. The message would then be communicated down to the Garrison through semaphore. As Gun Hill had healthy sweeping winds the signal station was used as a place for soldiers to to convalesce after illness, and they were evacuated to Gun Hill at the first sign of yellow fever as there was an epidemic on the island at that time.
Gun Hill was abandoned until 1982 when the Barbados national trust restored the signal station. The views from the station look over the rich fertile valley to Bridgetown and Carlyle Bay.

As with most tours we received a taster of what Barbados had to offer and there is certainly plenty to be discovered.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb